College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College

I want to go to college but I don't know if I should do Electrcial engineer or Electrical engineer technology

Electrical engineer technology, more hands on.

Comment

Originally posted by JoelP View Post
      I want to go to college but I don't know if I should do Electrcial engineer or Electrical engineer technology
      I'll just say that if you decide on Electrical Engineering you'll need to be a dedicated motivated student with good study habits to get through it. It's a very challenging field of study, but nothing worth a damn comes easy.

Comment

Do you have some good idea of the kind of work you would like to do? Do you see yourself as more of a hands-on person or do you like to work with more abstract "big picture" concepts?

Comment

Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
          Do you have some good idea of the kind of work you would like to do? Do you see yourself as more of a hands-on person or do you like to work with more abstract "big picture" concepts?
          I want work with distributing the power in a power station

Comment

Originally posted by ggunn View Post
            I'll just say that if you decide on Electrical Engineering you'll need to be a dedicated motivated student with good study habits to get through it. It's a very challenging field of study, but nothing worth a damn comes easy.
            Thank you

Comment

I want work with distributing the power in a power station
              OK, so do you want to be the foreman running the power gang, or do you want to be designing the bus ducts, wireways, duct banks, cable runs, etc?

Comment

I have what amounts to an ET degree, for me it's toilet paper since I have been doing electrical work ever since and have never once used my degree for a job. That being said, if you like designing stuff, go for the EE degree. If you want to be hands on, the ET degree is better.

Comment

OK, so do you want to be the foreman running the power gang, or do you want to be designing the bus ducts, wireways, duct banks, cable runs, etc?
                  what is the difference between the two?

Comment

Originally posted by peter d View Post
                    I have what amounts to an ET degree, for me it's toilet paper since I have been doing electrical work ever since and have never once used my degree for a job. That being said, if you like designing stuff, go for the EE degree. If you want to be hands on, the ET degree is better.
                    I want to do more of the design aspect

Comment

In my field having a PE is the be all and end all. I would make sure what ever degree you choose is ABET accredited and eligible to sit for the FE at graduation.

Comment

I want to do more of the design aspect
                        Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has an Electric Power Engineering program that is separate from its EE program. Head there to look at the courses and get a feel for what you might be in for. The school itself is pretty well regarded; the smartest girl I've ever met went there. Poke around the web for similar offerings. Note that there are a LOT of Technology programs out there so you may have to look hard. You may or may not be able to save some money by taking courses at a community college first and transferring the credits. Look very closely at what RPI or any other 4-year school will take in transfer credits. Usually the humanities stuff goes over no problem. The more specialized the technical courses get, the less they'll give credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturn_Europa View Post
                          In my field having a PE is the be all and end all. I would make sure what ever degree you choose is ABET accredited and eligible to sit for the FE at graduation.
                          Good advice!

Comment

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has an Electric Power Engineering program that is separate from its EE program. Head there to look at the courses and get a feel for what you might be in for. The school itself is pretty well regarded; the smartest girl I've ever met went there. Poke around the web for similar offerings. Note that there are a LOT of Technology programs out there so you may have to look hard. You may or may not be able to save some money by taking courses at a community college first and transferring the credits. Look very closely at what RPI or any other 4-year school will take in transfer credits. Usually the humanities stuff goes over no problem. The more specialized the technical courses get, the less they'll give credit for.
                            Thank you I will look into it

Comment

I have an EET, one negative aspect is that in some states, you cannot go for a PE license with an EET, EE only. I'm finishing up my career arc now so it doesn't really matter any more, but it would have been good about 20 years ago. I tried and was denied.
                              __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                              Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X