Fundamental of Engineering (FE) Electrical Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy167

Does anyone here know which review class is good for FE exam? Is there any active form for FE/PE exam? I found engineer board but it doesn't seem to be very active.

publicgood

Are you just out of or still in school? If yes, you might prep book it and forego a class. Be sure to take the electrical specific (not more general) in the afternoon.

dkarst

I think engineer boards is probably the most active. Since a change a few years back, the entire exam is electrical rather than breadth and depth (where you choose electrical) for the afternoon session. It is now only offered via computer vs. the old scantron.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When I got my license, back in the Stone Age, the FE exam covered the widest possible scope of subject matter. There was no separation by specialty. Are you sure you're not confusing this with the Principals and Practices exam, which is subject matter specific?

ron

gadfly56

Occupation
Last edited:

MrJLH

PPi2Pass is supposed to be pretty good (On-line) Are there are local universities that offer a FE course under continuing education?

Ansel

I suggest just getting the books. Read the review manual for the FE exam and get a separate book that has only questions. Learn how to access the formula sheets while taking the questions. Practice solving the questions and getting familiar with the formula sheet would make your exam a lot easier. Of course, study the courses that you are the weakest in but if there are only two questions from that section for the exam then study for that section last.

gadfly56

Occupation
I suggest just getting the books. Read the review manual for the FE exam and get a separate book that has only questions. Learn how to access the formula sheets while taking the questions. Practice solving the questions and getting familiar with the formula sheet would make your exam a lot easier. Of course, study the courses that you are the weakest in but if there are only two questions from that section for the exam then study for that section last.

Are you allowed to bring material into the exam anymore or are all the references on the computer?

Ansel

Are you allowed to bring material into the exam anymore or are all the references on the computer?

All the references are online. Learning how where to find each formula and using them while practicing for exam questions would be the best way to study. The reference sheet is available when signing up at the NEC website.

dkarst

All the references are online. Learning how where to find each formula and using them while practicing for exam questions would be the best way to study. The reference sheet is available when signing up at the NEC website.

Too many acronyms these days... I'm fairly certain you meant NCEES website. You can download a reference pdf manual for free but not take it into exam.

The NCEES FE Reference Handbook is the only reference material that can be used during the exam. You will be provided with an electronic reference handbook during the exam. For access prior to your exam, you may either purchase a hard copy or download a free electronic copy.

Register or log in to MyNCEES to download your free copy of the FE Reference Handbook.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer

You are only permitted an approved calculator. There will be a locker to place your things. All writing utensils and scratch paper will be provided to you. When you take the exam, you will provided a computer with a searchable (CTRL+F) copy of the FE reference guide so it's advisable to simulate those conditions by doing practice problems under the same conditions: Computer, calculator, paper, pencil, FE guide. I don't recall if it's bookmarked, but you need to be familiar with the reference guide to navigate it quickly because nearly all of the information is in there.

The BEST way for me to study was to get a highly rated review guide from Amazon and load the FE Reference guide available at NCEES onto a computer. I went through the guide page by page and did nearly all the example problems. I even brought out my old college books and drilled calculus, geometry, etc to get the brain juices flowing again. I was 5 years out of college so I needed to review everything. I ignored some subjects because there were only a couple questions according to the exam specs and I would have had to teach myself everything.

The exam rooms get cold, bring a light jacket and wear jeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.