Iowa Master's Test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am preparing to take my Master's test in the State of Iowa. Anyone have any insight of it? I took my JW test back in 2013 and scored a 96 IIRC. Working through Mike's Intermediate Masters resources and am planning to sit for the test in Sept/Oct.

480sparky

Sorry, you were the only Iowa sparky/EC I could think of...

I appreciate the thought. But when I took it, it was 'the Block test' (Block & Associates). Later, it become Experior. I don't even know who administers it now. Mine was grandfathered in when we went to state-issued licenses.

kwired

Electron manager
IIRC Iowa went through major statewide changes on electrical licensing somewhat recently. Maybe been up to 5 years now but I think is less than 10.

Before that I think working in larger cities was more of a licensing issue but is more uniform statewide now? Might have even taken many ideas from NE electrical division and implemented many similar requirements to what we have here.

I recall about first year we had a lot of Iowa license holders attending CEU classes here in NE, presumably it was a class accepted by Iowa, but they were having trouble finding classes that were acceptable in Iowa at that time.

480sparky

Local jurisdictions (cities, counties) can still maintain their local licenses, but are required by law to accept the state's Class A licenses. Those are ones that were taken with proctored/verifiable tests. If not, we were given grandfathered Class B licenses that may or may not be accepted by the various 'political subdivisions' as the state calls them.

However, there will be a sunset on local licenses as time goes by. Most places already have turned licensing over to the state. And many are discontinuing local permitting and inspections and transferring it all to the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.