NJ Exam requirement change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaffen99

So I read that the governor of NJ has changed the requirement for examination. Apparently, he has omitted the 5 years on the job training as sufficient for qualification. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Why? Normally NJ politicians are pandering to someone.

Gaffen99

What alternatives were suggested?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You must now attend a four year apprentice program approved by the Dept. of Labor. Also, 1 year on the job training, which is done as an apprentice. You are required to be employed by an electrician during the time you go to school. The school cost money as well. I don't see the gain of changing the old law.

nickelec

I have my number license got in 2017 going for NYC now take a look at NYC requirements then talk to me about ridiculous lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
https://njeducationandseminars.com/...-new-law-for-electrical-license-requirements/

I have my son working with me with the intention to take the business when he's ready. This will basically omit this theory for future family owned businesses. Now those underlings will still have to pay to go to school.

That link is to someone who's selling seminars, do you have an official link to the State Dept. of Law & Public Safety
Division of Consumer Affairs Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors?

Gary11734

So I read that the governor of NJ has changed the requirement for examination. Apparently, he has omitted the 5 years on the job training as sufficient for qualification. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Why? Normally NJ politicians are pandering to someone.

I'm sure the union got this one in.

Don't you guys in NJ have a nonunion apprentice program that is recognized by the department of labor?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm in the IBEW and IMO this is grossly unfair. Hopefully there will be a lawsuit to follow. You can get more info by searching NJ A2182.

Gary11734

I'm in the IBEW and IMO this is grossly unfair. Hopefully there will be a lawsuit to follow. You can get more info by searching NJ A2182.

The Union has as much right to organize their members. I would say they should at least have a grandfather clause for the ones that are already in the pipeline.

That is not fair if you thought your five years you were counting on by law is now worth zero.

But, you are dealing with politicians so ......

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The Union has as much right to organize their members. I would say they should at least have a grandfather clause for the ones that are already in the pipeline.

That is not fair if you thought your five years you were counting on by law is now worth zero.

But, you are dealing with politicians so ......

From what I've read this will not go into effect immediately but will be phased in over the next 4 years giving those who are currently working towards their 5 year of experience a chance to sit for the exam.

Gary11734

From what I've read this will not go into effect immediately but will be phased in over the next 4 years giving those who are currently working towards their 5 year of experience a chance to sit for the exam.

Well, at least the ones that thought they were going to be able to sit for the exam by the past law, they will have an opportunity.
Getting more young people in school works for all.
I was a union apprentice, and the contractor paid for it all. You really can't beat it... College kids come out and in debt up to their eyeballs.

And, you can move up real quick in the trades if you are a hustler and willing to lead.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Well, at least the ones that thought they were going to be able to sit for the exam by the past law, they will have an opportunity.
Getting more young people in school works for all.
I was a union apprentice, and the contractor paid for it all. You really can't beat it... College kids come out and in debt up to their eyeballs.

And, you can move up real quick in the trades if you are a hustler and willing to lead.

Sure, if it's a union shop. Not so good for the guy (as above) trying to leave a nice business for his son/daughter to step into. I can see that a kid working summers and weekends for Dad since 13 or so having a real good grasp of the business by the time he/she hits 19. This is just a tool to shut down non-union shops.

Gary11734

Sure, if it's a union shop. Not so good for the guy (as above) trying to leave a nice business for his son/daughter to step into. I can see that a kid working summers and weekends for Dad since 13 or so having a real good grasp of the business by the time he/she hits 19. This is just a tool to shut down non-union shops.

But, they are giving a grandfather clause for those already in the pipeline. The new kids will do just fine after that. It's laughable to think the unions can stop much of anything these days.

Of course, it's a union tactic.

They are the past. Globalization has killed the unions forever. Look what Boeing did, they just move the plant. And, we don't work in that small 25-mile radius as the mom and pops did...

The Democrats threw the unions under the bus for Wallstreet during the Clinton years so their power is diminished. And now, the Democrats have their sights south of the border so the unions have no power, per se...

The unions have one commodity to sell, labor. If they ever figure out how to market that labor, they will survive and prosper.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The way this was explained to me was that it was a "back door deal" initiated by the labor unions. They went direct to the Governor with this and got it enacted. This was never presented before the Electrical Licensing Board. What a scam !!!

Try to find this law as it is written is like a needle in a haystack. If anyone finds it please post it here. I'll do some research as well.

Gaffen99

The way this was explained to me was that it was a "back door deal" initiated by the labor unions. They went direct to the Governor with this and got it enacted. This was never presented before the Electrical Licensing Board. What a scam !!!

Try to find this law as it is written is like a needle in a haystack. If anyone finds it please post it here. I'll do some research as well.

Yes, seems like another NJ politician using his office for personal gain. I'm sure most voters of his district take no interest in the Board of Electrical Examiners affairs.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's all well and fine but why was none of this passed through the Board Of Electrical Examiners ? Few, if any at all on the Board, knew about this. I'm not opposed to the idea that new electrical contractors should have better educations and experiences before being granted licenses. However, this should have been made public and voted on at the Board instead of having it shoved down our throats through a back-room deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.