Clear All

• sully1975
    replied
    ASSEMBLY BILL NO. A2181

https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/el...nda-041019.pdf

Leave a comment:

• sully1975
    replied
    Did they still leave in the engineering degree loophole? A Bachelors in Electrical Engineering with a year's experience allowed the exam be taken. Same went for Plumbing and HAVC with a Mechanical Engineering degree.

Leave a comment:

• revolt
    replied
    NJ BA

The same union BA is the one who got the prevailing wage requirement for any lighting retrofit over $14,440 if you are getting rebate money

Leave a comment:

• goldstar
    replied
    There are several approved CEU instructors in my area who are proposing just that. It was a political action committee who initially proposed the 34 hours and got it passed through the NJ legislature. IMHO, you certainly don't need 10 hours (mandated to be presented over the course of 2 days or 2 separate sessions) every 3 years for the update of the NEC, contractor law and smoke alarms. It was their attempt at better educating EC's. Our contractors association used to support that committee but we stopped over the past several years because our membership #'s have diminished and we were hard pressed to come up with a $1K a year donation.

Let's hope this apprenticeship program that the NJ governor shoved down our throats works out for the best. Perhaps we'll end up getting better employees with better training before allowing them to go out there contracting with the public. I don't think the apprenticeship program teaches these young electricians anything about how to be in a business. There's a lot more to having and running a successful company than just bending conduit, running wire and making good connections. Maybe part of the EC exam should be a "Business 101" class.

Perhaps that way we won't have newly licensed EC's out there doing 200 amp residential services for $1K.

Leave a comment:

• infinity
    replied
    Originally posted by goldstar View Post
    If they remove the 34 CEU hours requirement that will be the beginning of the end of the contractors associations.
    Yes 34 hours not 32 as I stated previously (thanks for the correction).

A reduction to say 15 hours would be fine. Why should an EC need 34 hours when electrical inspectors need only 15?

Leave a comment:

• goldstar
    replied
    Originally posted by infinity View Post
    I find it hard to believe that in the past three years no one heard a single word about this until the Governor signed it. Either way it is what it is. If they want parity with the plumbers then let's reduce the 32 CEU hours required every three years.
    If they remove the 34 CEU hours requirement that will be the beginning of the end of the contractors associations.

Leave a comment:

• infinity
    replied
    OK. I spoke to a union contractor yesterday who claims that the Board knew this was coming for 3 years. He says that we are now in line with the plumbers who also have to go through a 4 year apprenticeship. Not sure who to believe at this point.
    I find it hard to believe that in the past three years no one heard a single word about this until the Governor signed it. Either way it is what it is. If they want parity with the plumbers then let's reduce the 32 CEU hours required every three years.

Leave a comment:

• goldstar
    replied
    OK. I spoke to a union contractor yesterday who claims that the Board knew this was coming for 3 years. He says that we are now in line with the plumbers who also have to go through a 4 year apprenticeship. Not sure who to believe at this point.

Leave a comment:

• goldstar
    replied
    From what I've read this will not go into effect immediately but will be phased in over the next 4 years giving those who are currently working towards their 5 year of experience a chance to sit for the exam.
    That's all well and fine but why was none of this passed through the Board Of Electrical Examiners ? Few, if any at all on the Board, knew about this. I'm not opposed to the idea that new electrical contractors should have better educations and experiences before being granted licenses. However, this should have been made public and voted on at the Board instead of having it shoved down our throats through a back-room deal.

Leave a comment:

• Gaffen99
    replied
    The way this was explained to me was that it was a "back door deal" initiated by the labor unions. They went direct to the Governor with this and got it enacted. This was never presented before the Electrical Licensing Board. What a scam !!!

Try to find this law as it is written is like a needle in a haystack. If anyone finds it please post it here. I'll do some research as well.
    Yes, seems like another NJ politician using his office for personal gain. I'm sure most voters of his district take no interest in the Board of Electrical Examiners affairs.

Leave a comment:

• goldstar
    replied
    OK. Here it is :

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/AL18/155_.PDF

Leave a comment:

• goldstar
    replied
    The way this was explained to me was that it was a "back door deal" initiated by the labor unions. They went direct to the Governor with this and got it enacted. This was never presented before the Electrical Licensing Board. What a scam !!!

Try to find this law as it is written is like a needle in a haystack. If anyone finds it please post it here. I'll do some research as well.

Leave a comment:

• Gary11734
    replied
    Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Sure, if it's a union shop. Not so good for the guy (as above) trying to leave a nice business for his son/daughter to step into. I can see that a kid working summers and weekends for Dad since 13 or so having a real good grasp of the business by the time he/she hits 19. This is just a tool to shut down non-union shops.
    But, they are giving a grandfather clause for those already in the pipeline. The new kids will do just fine after that. It's laughable to think the unions can stop much of anything these days.

Of course, it's a union tactic.

They are the past. Globalization has killed the unions forever. Look what Boeing did, they just move the plant. And, we don't work in that small 25-mile radius as the mom and pops did...

The Democrats threw the unions under the bus for Wallstreet during the Clinton years so their power is diminished. And now, the Democrats have their sights south of the border so the unions have no power, per se...

The unions have one commodity to sell, labor. If they ever figure out how to market that labor, they will survive and prosper.

Leave a comment:

• gadfly56
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary11734 View Post
    Well, at least the ones that thought they were going to be able to sit for the exam by the past law, they will have an opportunity.
    Getting more young people in school works for all.
    I was a union apprentice, and [COLOR="#FF0000"]the contractor paid for it all. You really can't beat it[/COLOR]... College kids come out and in debt up to their eyeballs.

And, you can move up real quick in the trades if you are a hustler and willing to lead.
    Sure, if it's a union shop. Not so good for the guy (as above) trying to leave a nice business for his son/daughter to step into. I can see that a kid working summers and weekends for Dad since 13 or so having a real good grasp of the business by the time he/she hits 19. This is just a tool to shut down non-union shops.

Leave a comment:

• Gary11734
    replied
    From what I've read this will not go into effect immediately but will be phased in over the next 4 years giving those who are currently working towards their 5 year of experience a chance to sit for the exam.
    Well, at least the ones that thought they were going to be able to sit for the exam by the past law, they will have an opportunity.
    Getting more young people in school works for all.
    I was a union apprentice, and the contractor paid for it all. You really can't beat it... College kids come out and in debt up to their eyeballs.

And, you can move up real quick in the trades if you are a hustler and willing to lead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X