Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NJ Exam requirement change

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    NJ Exam requirement change

    So I read that the governor of NJ has changed the requirement for examination. Apparently, he has omitted the 5 years on the job training as sufficient for qualification. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Why? Normally NJ politicians are pandering to someone.

    #2
    What alternatives were suggested?

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by nickelec View Post
      What alternatives were suggested?

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      You must now attend a four year apprentice program approved by the Dept. of Labor. Also, 1 year on the job training, which is done as an apprentice. You are required to be employed by an electrician during the time you go to school. The school cost money as well. I don't see the gain of changing the old law.

      Comment


        #4
        I have my number license got in 2017 going for NYC now take a look at NYC requirements then talk to me about ridiculous lol

        Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by nickelec View Post
          I have my number license got in 2017 going for NYC now take a look at NYC requirements then talk to me about ridiculous lol

          Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
          👍 I'm sure

          Comment


            #6
            Can you post

            Can you post the article?
            Or a link to nj state change?
            Thanks

            Comment


              #7
              https://njeducationandseminars.com/g...-requirements/

              I have my son working with me with the intention to take the business when he's ready. This will basically omit this theory for future family owned businesses. Now those underlings will still have to pay to go to school.

              Comment


                #8
                Well, I just found the sponsor of the bill was a President Business Manager for the IBEW. What a surprise...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Gaffen99 View Post
                  https://njeducationandseminars.com/g...-requirements/

                  I have my son working with me with the intention to take the business when he's ready. This will basically omit this theory for future family owned businesses. Now those underlings will still have to pay to go to school.
                  That link is to someone who's selling seminars, do you have an official link to the State Dept. of Law & Public Safety
                  Division of Consumer Affairs Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors?
                  Rob

                  Moderator

                  All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gaffen99 View Post
                    So I read that the governor of NJ has changed the requirement for examination. Apparently, he has omitted the 5 years on the job training as sufficient for qualification. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Why? Normally NJ politicians are pandering to someone.
                    I'm sure the union got this one in.

                    Don't you guys in NJ have a nonunion apprentice program that is recognized by the department of labor?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm in the IBEW and IMO this is grossly unfair. Hopefully there will be a lawsuit to follow. You can get more info by searching NJ A2182.
                      Rob

                      Moderator

                      All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by infinity View Post
                        I'm in the IBEW and IMO this is grossly unfair. Hopefully there will be a lawsuit to follow. You can get more info by searching NJ A2182.

                        The Union has as much right to organize their members. I would say they should at least have a grandfather clause for the ones that are already in the pipeline.

                        That is not fair if you thought your five years you were counting on by law is now worth zero.

                        But, you are dealing with politicians so ......

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Gary11734 View Post
                          The Union has as much right to organize their members. I would say they should at least have a grandfather clause for the ones that are already in the pipeline.

                          That is not fair if you thought your five years you were counting on by law is now worth zero.

                          But, you are dealing with politicians so ......
                          From what I've read this will not go into effect immediately but will be phased in over the next 4 years giving those who are currently working towards their 5 year of experience a chance to sit for the exam.
                          Rob

                          Moderator

                          All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by infinity View Post
                            From what I've read this will not go into effect immediately but will be phased in over the next 4 years giving those who are currently working towards their 5 year of experience a chance to sit for the exam.
                            Well, at least the ones that thought they were going to be able to sit for the exam by the past law, they will have an opportunity.
                            Getting more young people in school works for all.
                            I was a union apprentice, and the contractor paid for it all. You really can't beat it... College kids come out and in debt up to their eyeballs.

                            And, you can move up real quick in the trades if you are a hustler and willing to lead.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Gary11734 View Post
                              Well, at least the ones that thought they were going to be able to sit for the exam by the past law, they will have an opportunity.
                              Getting more young people in school works for all.
                              I was a union apprentice, and [COLOR="#FF0000"]the contractor paid for it all. You really can't beat it[/COLOR]... College kids come out and in debt up to their eyeballs.

                              And, you can move up real quick in the trades if you are a hustler and willing to lead.
                              Sure, if it's a union shop. Not so good for the guy (as above) trying to leave a nice business for his son/daughter to step into. I can see that a kid working summers and weekends for Dad since 13 or so having a real good grasp of the business by the time he/she hits 19. This is just a tool to shut down non-union shops.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X