PE License Electrical Drawing Training Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeld123

Hi! My name is Mike. I work as an electronics engineer for an aerospace company doing systems/software engineering.

I recently earned my PE license in Electrical (I have a BSEE). I would like to learn more about how to create/review electrical drawings and how to calculate various electrical load calculations for residential/commercial buildings.

Can someone please refer a good course/training to learn more about the practice of electrical design drawings/electrical calculations? Also, what software tool would you recommend for designing electrical drawings? Finally, I am open to any tips/suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
What software you want to use can vary based on the size and complexity of the project. I'd say standards right now are AutoCAD (w/ Electrical Design Master add-on) or Revit. Personally, I do Revit for everything under the sun, even if the architect uses CAD, but there are a lot that would disagree with me on that - matter of opinion really.

Regarding classes, not sure, but there's probably Revit and AutoCAD MEP courses offered in your area. With your credentials, I'd be surprised if you had difficulty finding an employer that would be willing to train you while you get paid. If that's not an option and you're free to learn at your own pace, you can also find basically everything you need on Youtube - that's been my greatest resource for the last 4 years.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What software you want to use can vary based on the size and complexity of the project. I'd say standards right now are AutoCAD (w/ Electrical Design Master add-on) or Revit. Personally, I do Revit for everything under the sun, even if the architect uses CAD, but there are a lot that would disagree with me on that - matter of opinion really.

Regarding classes, not sure, but there's probably Revit and AutoCAD MEP courses offered in your area. With your credentials, I'd be surprised if you had difficulty finding an employer that would be willing to train you while you get paid. If that's not an option and you're free to learn at your own pace, you can also find basically everything you need on Youtube - that's been my greatest resource for the last 4 years.

For getting started with AutoCAD, I recommend training from lynda.com. Their tutorials are far better than the ones you can get from AutoDesk.

I would like to learn more about [...] how to calculate various electrical load calculations for residential/commercial buildings.

Can someone please refer a good course/training to learn more about the practice of electrical design drawings/electrical calculations?

Congrats on the getting license.

I'm sure Mike Holt has some relevant classes/training on calcs and the like, but a good study of Art. 220 and the NEC handbook should help. There's also a ton of old threads here about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.