sp st momentary contact that looks like sp

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Is there any sp st momentary $ that doesnt key both sides?
I cant find it
110v 3 amp would be fine

thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
Is there any sp st momentary $ that doesnt key both sides?
I cant find it
110v 3 amp would be fine

thanks!
Can you be more specific?

SPST would be two terminal, one contact point - could be NO or NC.

Momentary likely means you push, pull, turn, etc. but it spring returns to original state once you let go.

I don't have any idea what "key both sides is supposed to mean", especially when taken with SPST. If you had multi poles and multi throws I could see a possibility of some contacts not changing state when the switch operator is moved to certain positions and that is what I would consider "keying" but you can't have such a thing with SPST there is only one switch to key and only two possible states to go with only two possible operator positions.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
on the load again

on the load again

Basically, does a single throw momentary contact only actuate in that single way, or does it actuate both ways and
only one direction throws the load?

a momentary contact that looks more like a vizio timer than a decora rocker.
The vizio timer can just be pressed in one direction.
Leviton VPT24-1PZ Vizia 24-Hour Programmable Indoor Timer with Astronomical C... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AIKQZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_wZNSCb2ZHXYW5 via @amazon

This was the switch that was supposed to be specd
The decora rocker style momentary contact switch that was installed can be pressed both up and down
https://www.legrand.us/radiant/products/switches/tm870stmwcc6.aspx
but the switch that is in the wall actuates like a 2pole

I didn;t pull the switch, I was all day on the load
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2gDbW8kBKV6K5Kn66

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
... you can't have such a thing with SPST there is only one switch to key and only two possible states to go with only two possible operator positions.

so if there are 3 possible positions
nothing happens [no wire connected to 2p st]
open center off
close common to terminal
then it must be a 2p momentary contact switch

A single pole single throw will have only... wait for it...

:angel:
a single throw
Meaning it can only be actuated one way, like the vizio

thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
so if there are 3 possible positions
nothing happens [no wire connected to 2p st]
open center off
close common to terminal
then it must be a 2p momentary contact switch

A single pole single throw will have only... wait for it...

:angel:
a single throw
Meaning it can only be actuated one way,
like the vizio

thanks!
That kind of a major item I tried to mention, single throw only has two possible conditions with the contact, open or closed, and "single pole" means there is only one contact.

Mentioning of "momentary" in combination with SPST, tells us there is a spring return to a certain position, that can be with the contact open or closed.

The Legrand switch you mentioned is what you seem to be trying to describe - SPST, momentary. This one is most likely NO when not pressing on the switch actuator. press on it and it closes, then it returns to open when you release it.

If what is installed can be pressed up and down, it is not a momentary switch, the momentary should want to return to original position before you pressed it. What is there is probably standard SPST, not momentary, no spring return. Basically a standard single pole wall switch for general lighting use.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If a single pole switch has three positions (down, center, up), then it may be center open, down momentary (spring return) and up maintained. As long as there is only one set of contacts to be actuated you could call it a single throw contact set even though the actuator has three positions.
Much more common is the double throw switch with the upper position closing common to upper contact, the down position closing common to lower contact and the center position being off (no contacts closed.
For specialty uses such as motor reversing the mechanism way enforce pausing in the center position (releasing pressure on the toggle) before allowing continued motion the the other position.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
If a single pole switch has three positions (down, center, up), then it may be center open, down momentary (spring return) and up maintained. As long as there is only one set of contacts to be actuated you could call it a single throw contact set even though the actuator has three positions.
Which you are more likely to see out of some kind of limit switch than a typical "wall switch"

kwired

Electron manager
I'm confused. What is 'both ways'?
What was specified was a decora style momentary contact switch, he had a link to that product info. There is only two positions the switch can be in, one of them is a "held" position, when you stop holding it has spring return to the other position. The contact (I am presuming on this model) is closed when you place it into the "momentary" position, it didn't really specify in the page linked to, but that is all I have seen for similar style switches.

480sparky

What was specified was a decora style momentary contact switch, he had a link to that product info. There is only two positions the switch can be in, one of them is a "held" position, when you stop holding it has spring return to the other position. The contact (I am presuming on this model) is closed when you place it into the "momentary" position, it didn't really specify in the page linked to, but that is all I have seen for similar style switches.

Like a 'disposal' switch.........

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/1257
Look around till you find your switch, looking in the McGill switch catalog will help you see the different types of contact configuration; you can use a double pole as a single pole too.

thats what i think was installed
because it will spring back from top or bottom

only the bottom seems to have a wire hanging on it

I want to change it to a single bump that picks the control board, puts it thru its paces like shown in the specd sw
thanks

gar

Occupation
EE
190417-2410 EDT

wyreman:

Your first and subsequent posts are totally incomprehensible.

1. How many incoming circuits come to this switch? If just one, then it is a single pole switch.

2. For each input pole how many different output paths are there? Might be described as to how many throws. A rotary selector switch can have many positions. For example a single pole four output selector with 16 input mechanical positions and binary coded output.

3. How many mechanical input states are there? For example exerted and not-exerted. An ordinary mechanical SPST toggle switch would have two stable mechanical input positions, on and off. A simple pushbutton single pole switch might be normally open, push to close, and spring return to open. Another type of pushbutton might produce a short time closure on pushing, but after the time delay opens even while the button is still pressed, and is spring returned to reset to operate again after release of the button.

You have to define how many poles are required and what mechanical to electrical function is to be performed. Start by defining how this entire circuit is to work with respect to time, mechanical inputs, and electrical outputs.

Break it down into simple time sequence functions.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
Disposal

Disposal

I have an LED control board that is listening for
momentary pulses of 110 VAc current.
The control board has a second source of 110v
going directly to an attached LED driver

Circuitboard is programmed to pass through the
24vdc from LED driver
Outputting different patterns of 24vdc
depending on the number of pulses received.
For example one pulse of more than two seconds
might give you dimming
release the contact and then reapply
the similar pulse more than two seconds
would give you brightness.
Three pulses might give you the top middle bottom strands
Being energized
four pulses might alternate through different patterns
six pulses might change the program.

The circuitboard is looking for pulses and modulates
the output of the independent LED driver.
depending on the quantity and duration of
the momentary control voltage pulses

When the control board receives a pulse
That has a corresponding program
it
Sends the
outputs from the driver to attached LED Strands
These LED strands then produce various types Of
twinkles and shimmies
Believe that’s the correct technical term

It doesn’t really matter
https://vimeo.com/226425194

because my question was much simpler
and that is I believe
Somebody has installed a
2p momentary contact switch w center off

When
a disposal switch.
Would make signaling for the untrained user
much simpler

I just didn’t know there was a simple disposal switch
Avail which was specified but not installed

Thanks for your help.

gar

Occupation
EE
190418-2359 EDT

wyreman:

Your motto is "A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved."
Why did you not follow it? You could have easily solved your problem without ever asking the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.