Drawbacks to taking 02 exam if I'm going for an 01.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tham

I recently found out my boss will be closing the company. I should have my 8,000 hours late this year but am only in my 3rd year of classes. Currently I'm just an apprentice but could take the 02 exam at anytime. It seems as though doing so would put me in a better position for my upcoming job hunt but I'm curious if there are any drawbacks to going that route if the end goal is to get my 01 card. Sure it's an extra test, so a bit of time and money over and above what it would be to hold out but that's not not a major concern for me. Thanks in advance for any insight you folks may have.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I recently found out my boss will be closing the company. I should have my 8,000 hours late this year but am only in my 3rd year of classes. Currently I'm just an apprentice but could take the 02 exam at anytime. It seems as though doing so would put me in a better position for my upcoming job hunt but I'm curious if there are any drawbacks to going that route if the end goal is to get my 01 card. Sure it's an extra test, so a bit of time and money over and above what it would be to hold out but that's not not a major concern for me. Thanks in advance for any insight you folks may have.

I suspect you are from Washington...correct? Each state is different on licensing, certification and termonology.
01 is Journeylevel
02 is Residential Speciality

Are you in an apprenticeship program? (I get emails from someone is says they are an apprentice but actually a trainee getting trained on the job)
If you are in an apprenticeship program the 02 exam should be easy for you, it requires 4,000 hours. As an alternative look into the 07 speciality, non residential maintenance.
And once you have 7500 hours, you can apply, take the 01 exam, if you pass, get a 0% supervision card, and work unsupervised for the last 500 hours. Thats what I would look at. The test is not that hard, I passed the first time, never worked with an electrician, I was grandfathered in for experience.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Having a certificate 'locks in' the hours you've invested in learning.

When a boss evaluates job candidates a certificate looks better than a letter stating you've got so many hours under your belt.

I mean, you can frame a certificate!

Status
Not open for further replies.