Resistor Value in Journeyman Exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistor Value in Journeyman Exam

I am new to this forum and apologize if I am not doing right.

If there is resistor color bands question in the Journeyman exam, if there is a reference info in NEC or American Electricians' Handbook? Or, we need to momorize this?

Thx!

Jay

It's not in the NEC. I don't know about the handbook to which you refer. I still remember the color code; my oldest brother taught it to me over 50 years ago. I can't publish the mnemonic that he told me, in order to help me remember it. It's not polite. (Note: After I posted this, I noticed that another member posted that mnemonic. I had to delete it.)

There is a "softer" version, but I don't know that one.

Here is the sequence:
    Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Gray, White, Gold, Silver.

Welcome to the forum.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Better Be Right Or Your Great Big Venture Goes West

https://1technation.com/better-be-ri...ure-goes-west/
      The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

Comment

If you're not allowed to use a reference page, you'll just have to memorize it.
        "Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet" are the colors of the rainbow, in their usual sequence, which you've probably already learned in another context.

But would this even come up on an electrician's exam? It's something electronic technicians use, but electricians never deal with resistors so small that they color striping is required. Everything electricians deal with will be large enough to be labeled with Arabic numerals, unless I'm missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by charlie b View Post

Here is the sequence:
          Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Gray, White, Gold, Silver.
          From Popular Science or Popular Mechanics, years ago:

Bachelor Boys Rush Our Young Girls But Veronica Goes Wild (only for) Silver (and) Gold

Black=0 Brown=1 Red=2 Orange=3 Yellow=4 Green=5 Blue=6 Violet=7 Gray=8 White=9 Silver=10% tolerance Gold=5% tolerance

The important thing to remember is that the numbers -=START=- with zero, and count up.

There's a nice picture at http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-color-code/

They also have another mnemonic: Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well; Get Some Now!

Traditionally, you have 2 digits for numbers, 3rd digit is the multiplier ("x10^^n"), and a 4th band for tolerance.

Tolerance is the accuracy of the resistor-- no band, the value can be +/- 20% of the value in the 1st 3 bands. Silver-- +/- 10%, and Gold-- +/- 5%.

There are also resistors with more bands for the digits-- 3 digits, 1 multiplier, 1 for Tolerance (which has expanded to include other percentages), 1 for temperature coefficient.

See the link above.

Comment

Thanks all for your quick reply and info. It is exteremely helpful.

Comment

It's not in the NEC. I don't know about the handbook to which you refer. I still remember the color code; my oldest brother taught it to me over 50 years ago. I can't publish the mnemonic that he told me, in order to help me remember it. It's not polite. (Note: After I posted this, I noticed that another member posted that mnemonic. I had to delete it.)

Here is the sequence:

Welcome to the forum.
              Ha, I was going to post the same thing. We just talked about this at work the other day, I asked my fresh out of the Navy guy about the one I was taught and he laughed and said no way would that fly these days.

Comment

Originally posted by zog View Post
                Ha, I was going to post the same thing. We just talked about this at work the other day, I asked my fresh out of the Navy guy about the one I was taught and he laughed and said no way would that fly these days.
                If it's the one I know, it's racist and misogynistic, plus it leaves out the tolerance percentages! (:

Comment

Here is the sequence:

Welcome to the forum.
                  That chick Violet, she’s a hoe

Bad Boys ____ our young girls but Violet gives willingly.

Gold and silver are tolerances gold is 5% tolerance, silver is 10% tolerance and no band is 20% tolerance.

Comment

There's a Wikipedia page on resistor color code mnemonics. It even has all the offensive ones!
                    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by five.five-six View Post
                      Bad Boys ____ our young girls but Violet gives willingly.
                      See post #2, and those following it.
                      Master Electrician
                      Electrical Contractor
                      Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by PaulMmn View Post
                        If it's the one I know, it's racist and misogynistic, plus it leaves out the tolerance percentages! (:
                        Get Some Now

Comment

Thanks ZOG couldn't recall the last part.
                          I thought I was using the pc version, the one I learned started with black ... later was told it was racist and we needed to change to bob brown still getting the black/ brown in proper order.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	join-the-resistance.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	2380793

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	2380794