Exam question

Status
Not open for further replies.

horses

So if you are asked a question on an exam, do you answer the question without using any exceptions to that particular rule?

I know Mike addressed this back when I had his Maters course that was on VHS, but I cant remember his direction as to use the rule without taken in consideration any exceptions if not asked? I just cat remember, but hopefully someone on here can help?

Thanks in advance

nickelec

Usually I would say answer without exceptions unless it specifically asks in regards to the exception

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Smart$ always said to answer without the exception. I never did and that's why I did poorly on tests. Personally, I think it is incorrect to answer without the exception unless the question states so.

horses

Smart$ always said to answer without the exception. I never did and that's why I did poorly on tests. Personally, I think it is incorrect to answer without the exception unless the question states so.

I agree completely, but if they specifically do not mention "exception " in the question , if a person want to get the test question correct I'm assuming they would need to ignore the exception?

I'm taking the Florida Unlimited this coming week, and that's why I'm asking!

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Would it be any better to reply, "Although in some circumstances exceptions may apply, the general answer is..."

Of course, you'd better be sure exceptions do exist!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Would it be any better to reply, "Although in some circumstances exceptions may apply, the general answer is..."

Of course, you'd better be sure exceptions do exist!
You've never taken an electrical exam have you?

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So if you are asked a question on an exam, do you answer the question without using any exceptions to that particular rule?

I know Mike addressed this back when I had his Maters course that was on VHS, but I cant remember his direction as to use the rule without taken in consideration any exceptions if not asked? I just cat remember, but hopefully someone on here can help?

Thanks in advance
In my experience all the electrical exam questions concerning code questions excluded exceptions unless specifically including them in the exam instructions.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So if a question states that overcurrent protective device cannot be installed in a bathroom how would you answer T or F?

Sucky question IMO

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So if a question states that overcurrent protective device cannot be installed in a bathroom how would you answer T or F?

Sucky question IMO
The question would have to have more information, what type of building for example.

Roger

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
You've never taken an electrical exam have you?

Roger

No. As my profile says, I'm an Interested Bystander.

If an electrician says "hand me that," I do.

If an electrician says "hold this steady," I do.

If an electrician says, "when I nod my head, hit it," I do.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The question would have to have more information, what type of building for example.

Roger

I know--- my point is that some questions cannot be answered as the tester intended. If you do residential your immediate response would be T but if you do commercial work you would answer F

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I know--- my point is that some questions cannot be answered as the tester intended. If you do residential your immediate response would be T but if you do commercial work you would answer F
With out specifying a type of building the answer T would have to be accepted. This still doesn't change the "exceptions" not being included in an exam unless the instructions specifically include them.

Roger

horses

With out specifying a type of building the answer T would have to be accepted. This still doesn't change the "exceptions" not being included in an exam unless the instructions specifically include them.

Roger

Well thanks for all of your Input, but tomorrow morning I will take the Florida Unlimited exam , and I will not consider exceptions unless it mentions them in the questions!

Oh and Roger... yes I have taken electrical exams before!!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Well thanks for all of your Input, but tomorrow morning I will take the Florida Unlimited exam , and I will not consider exceptions unless it mentions them in the questions!

Oh and Roger... yes I have taken electrical exams before!!

Wish you good luck. As you probably know this is one of the most difficult state exams in the country.
It has been my experience in electrical exams they usually give some guidance on this such as "Excluding Exceptions, what is the max OCPD for xxx...".

horses

Wish you good luck. As you probably know this is one of the most difficult state exams in the country.
It has been my experience in electrical exams they usually give some guidance on this such as "Excluding Exceptions, what is the max OCPD for xxx...".

Thanks! I wanted to thank k everyone for their Input! I took the exam today, and passed!!! Its definitely the hardest test that I e taken!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks! I wanted to thank k everyone for their Input! I took the exam today, and passed!!! Its definitely the hardest test that I e taken!

Well congratulations.... I know it took some determination and hard work. Good for you :thumbsup:

horses

Well congratulations.... I know it took some determination and hard work. Good for you :thumbsup:

Thanks again!! Now I have to take their business exam, but that's 50 questions in 2.5 hours... I cant imagine that it would be as hard as the technical? I have to go back to NC to check on the hotel we are doing first!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Impressive! Consider that, while I don't know Florida pass rates, I have stats from a number of states and they are all less than 50% for test takers. Many are well below 50%.
Sounds like you will do fine on the business part.

Status
Not open for further replies.