Estimator Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGest

Hi All,

i've been an estimator for 5 years now. I never went through any formal training, and my experience on the field was minimal to none. However, I was taught in-house by my dad, a Master Electrician for 33 years. I sat with him and received training from him all this time. I've had exposure in the field to the extent that I've walked around his job sites and "tagged on" to electricians to observe and ask. I do understand that nothing is a substitute for real hands on experience to estimate properly. Nevertheless, I am at a point where I would like to continue my training and learn other methods of estimating, or even possibly "tear down" what I've done and start building ground up. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice for me on how to pursue a career as an electrical estimator or even possibly owning my own contracting company (I would have to hire someone's license obviously).

Thanks a lot in advance

MGest

Thanks. I guess the real question is, can one be an effective estimator considering the route I've taken. Thoughts, anyone??

oldsparky52

Thanks. I guess the real question is, can one be an effective estimator considering the route I've taken. Thoughts, anyone??

Well, yes you can be an effective estimator but ... I think you will have some handicaps. W/out good field experience you may miss some things that you might not have if you had field experience.

Are you using a commercially available estimating software package or a homegrown proprietary package?

I find it interesting that you are ready to leave your father's business when it appears he is grooming you to take it over. Most people don't move into estimating w/out field competency. Is there more to this story?

MGest

I do use planswift for on screen takeoffs, but would like to learn something a bit more streamlined an effective, like ConEst. Dad is encouraging, for the time being to spread out and go freelance. It seems from what you're asking me that there is a real possibility for someone in my position to actually run the contracting business without having had the field experience. Is that true?

Thanks

oldsparky52

I do use planswift for on screen takeoffs, but would like to learn something a bit more streamlined an effective, like ConEst. Dad is encouraging, for the time being to spread out and go freelance. It seems from what you're asking me that there is a real possibility for someone in my position to actually run the contracting business without having had the field experience. Is that true?

Thanks

Running a successful business and installing in the field are two different skill sets. If you can surround yourself with competent electricians, then yes you can run a business w/out having the license. However, you are at the mercy of the qualifier. Personally, I would much rather be the qualifier as well as the business owner.

MGest

Running a successful business and installing in the field are two different skill sets. If you can surround yourself with competent electricians, then yes you can run a business w/out having the license. However, you are at the mercy of the qualifier. Personally, I would much rather be the qualifier as well as the business owner.

I am inclined to agree with you. The basic story is i'm moving out of town so taking over the business isn't an option. As far as estimating goes, there are a lot more opportunities nationwide, since I don't have to constantly be on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.