Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 amp single receptacle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    20 amp single receptacle

    Good morning everyone. I’m a bit groggy and attempting to study for my masters. I’m using a exam prep book and I am confused on a question. So the question is “what is the ampere rating for a single receptacle on an individual branch circuit rated at 20 amps” now I thought that if you’re using a single receptacle on a dedicated 20 amp circuit it has to be a 20 amp outlet?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    #2
    Originally posted by sparky1118 View Post
    Good morning everyo. . . I thought that if you’re using a single receptacle on a dedicated 20 amp circuit it has to be a 20 amp outlet?
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you. I’ve found so far four questions that have the wrong answers in this book...


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment


        #4
        You can put a single 15 on a 20 AMP circuit but not the other way around.

        Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
        Inspector Mike®
        ESI

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jxofaltrds View Post
          You can put a single 15 on a 20 AMP circuit . . .
          I believe that's incorrect; a duplex 15, yes.
          Master Electrician
          Electrical Contractor
          Richmond, VA

          Comment


            #6
            Here is what the nec states

            Originally posted by 210.21
            (B) Receptacles.
            (1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A
            single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall
            have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.
            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
            I can't help it if I'm lucky

            Comment


              #7
              Oops. I wrote it backwards!

              Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
              Inspector Mike®
              ESI

              Comment


                #8
                Yes, a 20 amp single receptacle is the minimum size permitted on a 20 amp circuit, you could use a 30 amp or a 50 amp if you so choose.
                Rob

                Moderator

                All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jxofaltrds View Post
                  You can put a single 15 on a 20 AMP circuit but not the other way around.

                  Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                  I believe that's incorrect; a duplex 15, yes.
                  You can put a 15 amp single receptacle on a 20 amp circuit, as long as it is not a circuit with a single outlet (Individual Branch Circuit - per art 100)

                  Originally posted by infinity View Post
                  Yes, a 20 amp single receptacle is the minimum size permitted on a 20 amp circuit, you could use a 30 amp or a 50 amp if you so choose.
                  Also agree you could use a 30 or 50 amp receptacle and would not be in violation of NEC.
                  I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by sparky1118 View Post
                    Thank you. I’ve found so far four questions that have the wrong answers in this book...

                    They know what they are doing. You will remember those four questions for the rest of your life.

                    Just kidding it's probably a mistake but you will remember those questions.
                    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X