20 amp single receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
Good morning everyone. I’m a bit groggy and attempting to study for my masters. I’m using a exam prep book and I am confused on a question. So the question is “what is the ampere rating for a single receptacle on an individual branch circuit rated at 20 amps” now I thought that if you’re using a single receptacle on a dedicated 20 amp circuit it has to be a 20 amp outlet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
Thank you. I’ve found so far four questions that have the wrong answers in this book...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what the nec states

210.21 said:
(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A
single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall
have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, a 20 amp single receptacle is the minimum size permitted on a 20 amp circuit, you could use a 30 amp or a 50 amp if you so choose.

kwired

Electron manager
You can put a single 15 on a 20 AMP circuit but not the other way around.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I believe that's incorrect; a duplex 15, yes.
You can put a 15 amp single receptacle on a 20 amp circuit, as long as it is not a circuit with a single outlet (Individual Branch Circuit - per art 100)

Yes, a 20 amp single receptacle is the minimum size permitted on a 20 amp circuit, you could use a 30 amp or a 50 amp if you so choose.
Also agree you could use a 30 or 50 amp receptacle and would not be in violation of NEC.

growler

Thank you. I’ve found so far four questions that have the wrong answers in this book...

They know what they are doing. You will remember those four questions for the rest of your life.

Just kidding it's probably a mistake but you will remember those questions.

marco_polo

You can put a 15 amp single receptacle on a 20 amp circuit, as long as it is not a circuit with a single outlet (Individual Branch Circuit - per art 100)

Also agree you could use a 30 or 50 amp receptacle and would not be in violation of NEC.

I’m confused after reading this thread, what I’ve usually been told to do for, for example, dining rooms, is have a 20 amp circuit in #12 romex and use regular 15 amp decora outlets. Would this not be to code?

kwired

Electron manager
You can put a 15 amp single receptacle on a 20 amp circuit, as long as it is not a circuit with a single outlet

I’m confused after reading this thread, what I’ve usually been told to do for, for example, dining rooms, is have a 20 amp circuit in #12 romex and use regular 15 amp decora outlets. Would this not be to code?

If you have a single 15 amp duplex receptacle on a 20 amp circuit you have two outlets, therefore not a circuit with a single outlet and you are not required to use a 20 amp receptacle.

Basically the only time you must use a 20 amp receptacle is if you have a circuit serving a single outlet. Other than that it is your option to use 15 or 20 amp receptacle(s).

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
If you have a single 15 amp duplex receptacle on a 20 amp circuit you have two outlets, therefore not a circuit with a single outlet and you are not required to use a 20 amp receptacle.

That's one outlet, not two outlets. Multiple receptacles, but a single outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.