have been asked to become a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Re: have been asked to become a teacher

Be prepared for students of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities. It is likely there will be students in the 1st yeat program that aren't sure they want to be there. At the same time, you will have students with several years of experience who are now looking for the "book" side of the trade. This makes it tricky to teach for all.

Also be prepared to lose student throughout the year. The ECF program here in Florida loses up to 25% of all students by 4th year. The first year has the highest number of drop-outs.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time getting students rid of long held misconceptions and beliefs about electricity and the code. Always be prepared for each class and control where the class goes and what topics get covered each class. You can fun and be "cool" with your students, but you have a job to do and keeping their respect and attention will be tough if things get too lose.

If you have the means, attend Mike Holt's instructor conference. They are held here in Florida, but well worth the time and money, especially if you plan on instructing as a career.

Or at least get a book or two on teaching fundementals. This will give you all the little tips and tricks for being a good instructor.

Most of all, if you don't enjoy the job or feel overwhelmed all ther time, the position might not be for you. Some people are natural educators, some have to work at it, others just never pick up the techniques and never get comfortable. Once you start a class, you can't back out before the class/semester/year is over. It is unfair to the students and creates a real headache for coordinators and other staff. Make the committment or don't.

Good luck and keep us informed. :cool:

ron

I don't teach the trade, but I teach local college kids.
The hardest thing for me to get used to is the effort put forth by some of them. Some make a real effort and others are just along for the ride. :cool:

sandsnow

Establish a code of conduct for the class.

Hold them to it respectfully, firmly, and fairly or resign yourself to an out of control class.

peteo

I'm terribly sorry, if that's what was taken from my message. Ten years ago I was working in the 'cutting edge,' or 'emerging technology,' in industrial equipment. Then burned out, I decided that I'd had enough of 'things' and that 'people' or 'animate objects' might be more rewarding.

Much better than I could, the people who made that film expressed the DI's delight at how finally the trainees went beyond anything they had been taught. I have found this also, when 'turning people loose.' Not that I'm answering what you'd asked, these were production workers in a factory, not apprentices in a classroom or job site. Sorry! :) :) :)

marinesgt0411

Originally posted by peteo:
Rent full metal jacket. Same thing. Nothing like it.
The one thing I remember most about the movie is the DI getting shot because when I was going through basic there were times I wish I could shoot my DI.

I have talked to a few others including my bosses and some students and they all think I would make a good teacher so I am going to pursue the issue further

I had a different viewpoint when I went through apprentice classes being as I had just been discharged from the Marines

Thank you everyone for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.