Summary of Branch Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowhunter

I am having a trouble with Table 210.24.

In the second row alongside were it says taps underneath the 15, 20, and 30amp. circuit rating it says 14.
One of the other instructors says that means you can tap off of a 15, 20 or 30 amp. circuit to feed an outlet device whether it is a lampholder or a receptacle. In otherwords he claims I could pull #12's for a multioutlet 20amp. branch circuit and pigtail the receptacles with #14 wire according to Table 210.24.

I think that the taps in Table 210.24 refer to fixture taps or lighting outlets and not receptacles. I feel that 210.19 (A) (2) explains this. However 210.24 where it says the requirements for circuits that have two or more outlets or receptacles leave me confused.

I could use some input:-?

Thank You
Bowhunter

480sparky

Pigtails are part of the branch circuit conductor, not a tap. Taps are defined in 240.2. By definition, they have protection somewhere, and a pigtail does not.

bphgravity

Table 210.24 is horribly confusing. Tell the other instructor to stick to the rules spelled out in 210.19. Nothin in that section allows #14 pigtails to devices on 20A branch circuits or larger.

Mike Holt himself submitted a proposal to the 2008 NEC to have that table removed. (2-182) It was rejected. I pretend the table doesn't exist anyway...

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Bowhunter said:
I am having a trouble with Table 210.24.
You're not alone; a proposal was submitted this cycle to remove it due to the confusion it causes, but unfortunately, it was rejected.

bowhunter said:
I think that the taps in Table 210.24 refer to fixture taps or lighting outlets and not receptacles. I feel that 210.19 (A) (2) explains this.
You are correct in your thinking. 210.24 (the text) states that's it's only a summary, and the specific sections mentioned must be followed. 210.19(A)(2) makes clear that receptacles are not included in the tap rules given in 210.19(A)(4), and (A)(4) specifically leaves them out.

However 210.24 where it says the requirements for circuits that have two or more outlets or receptacles leave me confused.
It is referring to the second area of the table, under Overcurrent Protection. It says "receptacle rating", and the values to the right of that are only valid for multioutlet branch circuits.

You could install a 50A receptacle on a 15A individual branch circuit, if you were so inclined - see 210.21(B)(1).

Edit: Evening, Bryan. :)

Looking forward to your second read, still. :cool:

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The word "taps" does not stand alone in this table. The word "Taps" describes what is below it on the table which is "fixture wires and cords". Look at 240.5.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here's an illustration of what is now 210.19(A)(4) EX 1(c), (notice the wording "other than receptacles") it was 210.19(D) EX 1(c) in 99 and earlier cycles

210-19dx1c.gif

Roger

Last edited:

Bowhunter

Thank you so much for the clarification. The code reference and the picture are perfect to prove my point. Perhaps some changes to Table 210.24 would be in order for 2011 code.:)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Bowhunter said:
Perhaps some changes to Table 210.24 would be in order for 2011 code.:)

They were in order for 2008, but I guess that ship has sailed. If we keep hitting them up every cycle, they're bound to accept it once just for a change of scenery. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.