Changing 120v single phase to 208/230v 3 phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I can think of three ways.

One way is to get a motor-generator for which the motor takes a 120 volt single phase input and for which the generator provides a 208 volt three phase output. I do not know if anyone makes such a machine, or if anyone makes one with a high enough rating to serve your needs.

A second way is to buy an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) with the input and output ratings you need.

The third way is to bring in another service to the building.

What is you intended application?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
charlie b said:
One way is to get a motor-generator for which the motor takes a 120 volt single phase input and for which the generator provides a 208 volt three phase output. I do not know if anyone makes such a machine, or if anyone makes one with a high enough rating to serve your needs.

A variation on this theme would be to use a suitable _motor_ only. The motor is powered via a single phase, energizing only a subset of coils on the stator, and the other phase(s) are developed by other coils on the stator.

(I say the other 'phase(s)' because in the normal use of such a 'rotary phase converter', a single phase 240V source is connected to _two_ of the terminals of a three phase induction motor, and a _single_ terminal provides the derived output...but the set of _three_ terminals is a reasonably balanced three phase supply.)

-Jon

Joe R

Hire an EC and upgrade the service to 3 phase so the POCO can do their thing too. That would be the easy way.

suspence

Replacing a low temp commercial dishwasher w/ High temp dishwasher with booster heater. Installer said we could put install either one 3 phase 208/230 40 amp outlet or a single phase 208/230v with 2 60 amp circuits (the 3 phase being there preferance)

Status
Not open for further replies.