ICC Master Electrician Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmjr55

I am working on taking my Master Electrician test through ICC.
I live in Pennsylvania in the Philadelphia suburbs. Has anyone taken this test or is someone studying for the same exam?
I am interested in feed back on study options or practice tests. Also if any one living in this same area would be interested in a study group?

John

khixxx

Honestly the best way is self study (That I have found) Have you looked at Mike Holts books? The master exam is all about calculations, yes you need to navigate the NEC well. When I took my exam There were things I never heard about before, What the heck was a marina slip?? mmmm C that is what I marked. Look at it this way. If you spend $400 on materials to help you study, and that would increase your annually income at least $400 a year that is a 100% return on your investment. ok you might need to make $700 to cover the taxes and what not. Ask your employer if he could reimburse you the fee of the exam books ect. when you pass the exam. or maybe ask to get at least a $1,500 annually raise.

If he refuses then threaten to be his competitor and drive him out of business... Just kidding.

masterelect1

Helpful hints ?

Helpful hints ?

You live in a major city or at least nearby. There should be some schooling available whose sole purpose is prepping persons for the master's exam.

I live in Baltimore and there were classes available through the Electric League of Md. - very reasonably priced also. The instructor was a County inspector who also sat on the test review board.

There were 26 classes (2 nights a week x 13 wks.) and were set up to end the Thursday before the exam was scheduled so that a final review could be done 2 days before the exam. Very helpful. I would suggest that you seek out something along these lines in your area. In Maryland, if you fail, you have to wait 6 months to re-test and if you fail a 2nd time the wait is 1 year.

Good luck, :smile:
John

BossMan20

tests

tests

well i hope you spend some time on the first 4 chapters of the code book. my experience has been you have 4 hours to complete the exam. over half the questions are based on regular code and the rest is load calcs. you need to be able to cruise right thru the first half of the test to have enough time for the all that math in the load calcs. you may want to ask your boss if he has any books that you can borrow, worked for me once. good luck, you'll do fine if you study hard and hey, if you don't pass it the first time at least you'll know your strengths and weakness'.

Status
Not open for further replies.