Pushmatic Breaker Panel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthNJ

I saw a pushmatic panel and it had two 100 amp breakers above each row of smaller sized breakers. Without me removing the panel cover, which I will in a few days, I am thinking this may be a 200 amp panel, but was that an option back in the day? The house has heating elements in the ceiling sheet rock for heat which they are going to be removing, and I am thinking that this extra amperage was for the ceiling heat. Is it possible to have a 200amp pushmatic panel and is there a site I can see pics of them? I will be replacing it though. Thanks in advance.

LawnGuyLandSparky

You probably have a split-buss 200a panel. There are 5 2-pole slots for the upper 1/2 and the 6th is for a 100a "lighting main" and covers every branch circuit below it.

SouthNJ

work being done...

work being done...

They are stripping each room to the studs, and they want it all rewired, they are also adding forced heat and central air. So I figured upgrade the panel, and the service ent cable is cloth. So the owner wants all new.

apburton

pushmatic

pushmatic

Im sure you have a 200 amp panel. Back in the day they had what is called a split bus. The code was that you had to be able to shut the panel down with-in 6 moves of the hand or less. The two 100 amp breakers are most likely in parallel with each other. Not a bad idea to up-grade but the breakers are still available.
If you have any other questions I would be happy to help you.
Thanks,
Larry aplussupply.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.