Mounting light fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

1971usnrsparky

Simple question, Is a box always needed for mounting of light fixtures? In the past, I have seen and have mounted certain light fixtures without mounting a box. Examples of this are stubbing wires out of a house for an outdoor garage light or entry light. Each of these lights has a canopy space large enough to hold the 14-2-G NM wire. The surface mounted to is non-combustible. The same situation occurs above a vanity and mirror where the fixture is mounted to the sheetrock with screws into wall studs.

bphgravity

Re: Mounting light fixtures

See 300.15 of the NEC. I doubt the garage or entry light meets any of these provisions, however the vanity light just may.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by 1971usnrsparky:
Each of these lights has a canopy space large enough to hold the 14-2-G NM wire.
The usual luminaires installed on NM tails stubbed out of dwelling walls don't have a cubic inch (or other) volume stamped on their canopies.
314.16 Number of Conductors in Outlet, Device, and Junction Boxes, and Conduit Bodies

(A) Box Volume Calculations
The volume of a wiring enclosure (box) shall be the total volume of the assembled sections and, where used, the space provided by plaster rings, domed covers, extension rings, and so forth, that are marked with their volume or are made from boxes the dimensions of which are listed in Table 314.16(A).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree with Brian. Vanity lights can sometimes be installed without a box since the conductors and splices are all contained within the fixture. The same could be said for surface mounted florescent fixtures. You scenario would have the splices not within a junction box or contained within the fixture.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jim, NM has 90 deg conductors.

334.112 Insulation
The insulated power conductors shall be one of the types listed in Table 310.13 that are suitable for branch circuit wiring or one that is identified for use in these cables. Conductor insulation shall be rated at 90?C (194?F).
Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by bphgravity:
...the vanity light just may.
To elaborate on Bryan's point, I'd like to quote 300.15(E):

(E) Integral Enclosure. A wiring device with integral enclosure identified for the use, having brackets that securely fasten the device to walls or ceilings of conventional on-site frame construction, for use with nonmetallic-sheathed cable, shall be permitted in lieu of a box or conduit body.
It really comes down to the fixture itself. Some vanities are, some aren't.

I've never seen an outside light that measured up, but I haven't seen a lot of things. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.