Lightning Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tims924

I found this information on Lightning Protection Institutes website:
"You may have heard that lightning is only attracted to metal, or to the tallest structure in an area. Neither of these rumors are true. Lightning can and will strike any type of material, even human beings, over 100 people are killed by lightning every year in this country alone. And, due to lightning's erratic patch, all structures, high and low are in danger. "

When I was in Mikes class a few weeks ago I was told that lightning is attracted to the tallest objects regardless of what they are made of. Can someone give me some evidence for the right answer or where i can find it?

tjs264@psu.edu

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Lightning Protection

Originally posted by tims924: Can someone give me some evidence for the right answer or where I can find it?
That?s an extraordinarily well-worded question! I sincerely hope that you never tire of asking it. Don?t be impolite or haughty about it, but also do not be afraid to go more than one question deep, in your quest for answers. Throughout your career, many people who work with you (or even for you) will have greater knowledge and experience that yourself in certain areas. That notwithstanding, you are going to encounter (as we all have in our turn) many instances in which there are as many contradictory answers to a question as there are people attempting to provide the answer.

A certain Professional Reference Librarian that I know has (with some effort on her part) taught me the difference between ?The answer is?? and ?This book says that the answer is?.? In her profession, it is a vitally important part of her duty to her patrons that she be able to cite the source(s) of information from which she derives the answers to their questions.

Now for my answer to your question: I suggest that you take the question to the Reference Librarian at your school or public library. I can?t give you a direct response because I do not know the level of detail that you are seeking, nor the nature of the source that you would accept as being authoritative.

By the way, here?s a cute training aid that doesn?t answer your question, but that may help you visualize the nature of a lightning strike: http://www.ipclp.com/html/how.html

bob

Re: Lightning Protection

Tim
Lightning is a complex subject. If you want to know more, I suggest you search the internet for
more information. In answer to your question, lightning does not always hit the tallest object around. It will strike anything including metal, building, trees, chimneys and many other objects
that will allow the stoke to discharge to ground.
Lightning is not always for cloud to ground. It can be ffom ground to cloud or from cloud to cloud. Do some digging on your own. The lightning
Protection Institute might be a place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.