certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth522

Hi

My name is beth and i have question about certification and how to obtain this cerfitication. My boyfriend works for a sign company and he installs huge signs, for example, sunoco diamonds and other big gas station signs. He is very good with electrical. i was wondering if one has to take a class or classes to be eligible to be certified in the state of PA. If anyone could give me the information it would be greatly appreciated.

(i have tryed emailing the schools and the board of pa but they never e-mail me back)

Thank you

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: certification

I can't answer your question myself, being an engineer and living in a different area of the country. But perhaps it would help others give you an answer if I asked you to clarify your question. May I ask what you mean (or what you think is meant) by "certified." Specifically, are you asking about becoming licensed to work as an electrician, or are you talking about something else?

Beth522

Hi charlie,

Specifically, i was wondering if you had to have a series of training classes to obtain a license or certification?
In the electrician job descriptions some of the employers ask for "certification" or a "license" my boyfriend has neither but can perform the tasks of an electrician.
My second question is, is there a test to obtain the cert. or license? How does the process work to obtain the cert or license?

Thank you,
Beth

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The requirements for becoming a "certified" or "licensed" electrician vary from state to state, from county to county, and from city to city. I just looked on-line and found one web site that told me that the licensing of electricians does not happen at the state level in Pennsylvania. That means the licensing will be a county or city thing. Here, for example, is some information about licensing in Pittsburgh.

In broad, general terms, the path to becoming an electrician includes formal training, working for a minimum length of time under the supervision of a licensed electrician, and passing one or more exams. Some states have state-run apprenticeship programs. In some areas, apprenticeship programs for the various trades are administered by the local unions. In other areas, all it will take is to find a journeyman who is in need of a helper, and work your way up from there.

Many jurisdictions have different rules for a person doing work on his or her own home. But most jurisdictions will require a license for anyone who wants to get paid for doing electrical work on someone else's home or business.

I'm going to back out now, and hope that someone more familiar with the rules in your state can give you more information.

haskindm

Charlie B is correct. The requirements are set by the jurisdiction in which you are working. They vary greatly. In some areas you will need nothing to do a sign and in others you will need to be licensed as a master electrician. Most jurisdictions require a license of some sort. To get a license you will usually have to show proof of experience and pass a written examination.
You will need to contact the jurisdiction where your boyfriend works to find their requirements. Usually the permits department or "planning and zoning" will be able to direct you to the information that you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.