why is a 3way sw called a 3way not a 2way

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It is not a matter of how many positions the switch can have (i.e., up or down is only two positions). It is a matter of how many ways current can get to the switch, how many paths current can take on its way to the switch. Think of driving down a road, and coming to an intersection at which you have to take either the left fork or the right fork. That is commonly called a ?3-way intersection.?

dbuckley

So let me get this straight..... you have a corridor with a switch at each end, so two switches, and you call it three way switched...?

That is what the rest of the world calls a two way switched; a three way switch arrangement has, well, three or more switches...

iwire

Staff member
charlie b said:
It is a matter of how many ways current can get to the switch, how many paths current can take on its way to the switch. Think of driving down a road, and coming to an intersection at which you have to take either the left fork or the right fork. That is commonly called a “3-way intersection.”

I am not sure I agree. In the intersection I can literally choose to go three ways, left right and back.

In a three way switch only two paths are available.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
dbuckley said:
So let me get this straight..... you have a corridor with a switch at each end, so two switches, and you call it three way switched...?

That is what the rest of the world calls a two way switched; a three way switch arrangement has, well, three or more switches...

So let me get this straight if you have 4 or 5 switches it is called a 3 way? :grin:

Looks like both continents are wacked.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I remember reading somewhere that the British term three way switch came from the concept of a three wire switch.

t bone

3 way switch

3 way switch

They call it a 3 way because of the three terminals on the switch. You should try trade school!

dbuckley

Dennis Alwon said:
So let me get this straight if you have 4 or 5 switches it is called a 3 way? :grin:

Not quite; for example a corridor with five switches operating the same lights would have what an EC would call a two way switch at each end, and three three way switches in the middle :)

But yeah, its normally just two way or three way, more is uncommon...

480sparky

I was told way back when it's becuase 3-ways are basically SPDT switches. And old SPDT switches had three positions, On, Off, and On.

spdt.jpg

But today, my answer would be, "So you can tell the difference between the amatuers and the pros."

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
t bone said:
They call it a 3 way because of the three terminals on the switch. You should try trade school!
If they taught manners in trade school, your first posts to this forum would not have been so rude. I invite you to cheer up, negativity benefits noone here.

220/221

And a single pole sw would be a two way.

THINK before you post :)

I asked the same question in 1973 and never got a good answer.

I also asked why single phase wasn't two phase. I got a reasonable answer for that.....I think.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
iwire said:
I am not sure I agree. In the intersection I can literally choose to go three ways, left right and back.
You came to the intersection along one path, and you will leave along one path. The car behind you might leave along the other path. There are a total of three roads on which a car may be travelling. But to make the analogy complete, we must consider that one of the two paths leading away from the intersection might be closed today, and the other might be closed tomorrow.

iwire said:
In a three way switch only two paths are available.
No, the switch offers three paths along with current might be flowing. Current comes in on one, and out on one of two others. That is a total of three.

Status
Not open for further replies.