Mass. Electrician relocating to Montreal help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about relocating to Montreal. I don't know how hard it would be to become an electrician up there. I'm a Journeyman here in Mass. Can anyone give me some info on the laws and how things are done in Canada?

Thank you.

:)

Last edited:

wawireguy

Going Canadian eh! If I was gonna move to another country it would be Canada for sure. Never met Canadians I didn't like.

S'mise

Oui Oui

Oui Oui

I would not say they have difficulty with english, more so they don't want to converse with you in English (A long standing grudge with the English who stole the country from them) If you are not fluent in French I would advise against moving to Montreal. I do know an electrician who says most of the work in Canada is in the Toronto area. Be prepared to travel to where the jobs are scattered around the country. As far as the administration of becomming an Can EC that should not be too hard.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
Some Montreal citizens really can't speak English. When we visited the city we stayed in a motel that is part of a common US chain. One evening we when to it's restaurant. My wife, who at one time had taught high school French and had studied in Paris ordered in French. But she could not remember the French name for a food item, so she used the English word for that item. The waitress was lost, she needed to go to another waitress for help. We often visit Kingston Ont. but Montreal just 180 miles to the East is a whole different world.

S'mise

First language

First language

I agree. What I'm trying to say is if your not a french speaker. Its disasterous to try and open a business there.

e57

I don't speak French and that wont help. I have been there many times and i find almost everyone speaks English.

I just found out they use this book,

http://www.csa.ca/cm/2009-canadian-electrical-code

I talked to someone in the city and they said all the electricians in Montreal are in a union. Can someone give me more into on this topic?

Thanks
They may be saying that because whoever you talked to is in the union....

Ahhh... Again - How's your french? :grin:
http://www.fioe568.com/site/index.php?lang=fr
(Even the english portion of the site is french.)

"Je me souviens" and means "I remember"
Tell them you are from New Orleans.... ;) And of Nova Scotian decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.