CO Continuing Competency: Code Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Suppose you failed the upcoming renewal based on the 2011 on "Code Changes". You would have to accrue 8 PDUs in code changes in order to test again in 2014. So, I'm assuming you'd have to take a 2014 NEC Code Changes class before taking the 2014 exam?

I'm trying to get a training program together, but I suppose I won't be buying any Code Change books or teaching any Code Change classes for PDUs until Winter of 2013? :?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Hey there George, this is an area of some interest to me.

The way I understand it is if you flunk you take PDU's, ie continuing ed, in the areas you didn't pass and keep the proof on file. That's it. Next code cycle you test again. If your license comes up in a random audit you need to produce the proof that you completed your training.

I am interested in starting some kind of training class down here in the southwest since the nearest regular class is in CO Springs. What are you doing to get started?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The way I understand it is if you flunk you take PDU's, ie continuing ed, in the areas you didn't pass and keep the proof on file. That's it. Next code cycle you test again. If your license comes up in a random audit you need to produce the proof that you completed your training.

True. I could likely teach changes to the 2011, but that wouldn't do the student as much good for the next exam... Maybe it's best to do both.

I am interested in starting some kind of training class down here in the southwest since the nearest regular class is in CO Springs. What are you doing to get started?
I'm planning on using Mike's products, he's already invented the wheel and it's good material. I'm going to get a few books relevant to the four core areas to look over and work with Brian at Mike's office to tune it in. He's a lot of help, brian@mikeholt.com shoot him an email, tell him I sent you.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Thanks for the e-mail address. Besides getting some materials are you doing anything else? Getting some kind of "Certified Instructor's" badge perhaps?

I don't think the emphasis of the PDU's is centered around code changes. Grounding/Bonding, Calcs, Theory all stay the same so no need to worry about code cycle. Add an update class every three years as a separate or additional class to those.

tkb

What is a PDU?

I it sounding like you are tested on your required code updates, is that correct?

Up here in New England we just have to show up and sit through the two days to get our certificates. No test.

rcarroll

George the way I understand it, we take the test, if we fail, we have 3 years to take classes for PDU,s (CEU's?). I believe any class will be based on the '11 code, Then, we do it again for 2014.
If I'm wrong on this, I hope someone can set me/us straight.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
PDU stands for Personal Development Unit. Most people would call it continuing ed, but I guess they want us to feel empowered not educated.

New to Colorado this year is a test and X number of PDU's based on your score. The test has four sections-Grounding, Theory, Calcs, and Code.

You can flunk the test completely and still keep your license you just have to take more classes up to a max of twenty-four hrs of training. Test coincides with code cycle. If you pass you don't have to take any. That's what I'm hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.