Transducers

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenh

I'm thinking like on a trolley of a electric crane. How does it convert the
Mechanical energy into a electrical energy to read the location of the crane. Something of that nature just curious.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Mechanical energy into a electrical energy to read the location of the crane. Something of that nature just curious.
I don't know anything about cranes, but one type of transducer is simply a magnet attached to a rotating wheel that swings by an electromagnetic pickup (similar to an electric guitar pickup, which is also a transducer) on every rotation. The pickup and the moving magnet are the transducer in this case; they generate an electrical pulse on a wire from the pickup every time the wheel goes around and some sort of electronics connected to the wire counts those pulses and does something with the information.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
+1 on ggun's response. Each manufacturer designs their own system, usually. I've seen encoders, resolvers, potentiometers, and on small systems, magnetostrictive. For safety reasons, I've seen only absolute measurement devices used; with incremental, resetting or homing would be necessary on power failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.