AFCI protection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the code book art. 210.12
all 120 volt, single phase ,15 and 10 ampere barnch circuit supplying outlets and installed in dwelling unit family room,dinning room, living rooms parlors libraries,dens, bedroom,sunrooms,ect... shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interupter,combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.
but one of the electrician that I talked to said I am wrong. AFCI only required in bed room., I am trying to tell him it was an old code but new code required all room in a dwelling.
:?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Under the 2008 you need to afci almost all areas of a dwelling. Bathroom, kitchens and laundry areas are exempt along with unfinished basements.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I read the code book art. 210.12
all 120 volt, single phase ,15 and 10 ampere barnch circuit supplying outlets and installed in dwelling unit family room,dinning room, living rooms parlors libraries,dens, bedroom,sunrooms,ect... shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interupter,combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.
but one of the electrician that I talked to said I am wrong. AFCI only required in bed room., I am trying to tell him it was an old code but new code required all room in a dwelling.
:?

If you listed you location in your profile questions like this could be answer easily. We would know which code cycle you were required to follow and could tell you if you or the other guy is wrong.

cripple

AFCI-protection?

AFCI-protection?

The following is what the 2011 NEC states:

?210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter
Protection

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed indwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Exception No. 1: If RMC, IMC, EMT, Type MC, or steel armored Type AC cables meeting the requirements of 250.118 and metal outlet and junction boxes are installed for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install an outlet branch-circuit type AFCI at the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.
Exception No. 2: Where a listed metal or nonmetallic conduit or tubing is encased in not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install an outlet branch-circuit type AFCI at the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.
Exception No. 3: Where an individual branch circuit to a fire alarm system installed in accordance with 760.41(B) or 760.121(B) is installed in RMC, IMC, EMT, or steelsheathed cable, Type AC or Type MC, meeting the requirements of 250.118, with metal outlet and junction boxes, AFCI protection shall be permitted to be omitted.?

The requirement for AFCI first appeared in the 1999 NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you listed you location in your profile questions like this could be answer easily. We would know which code cycle you were required to follow and could tell you if you or the other guy is wrong.

OP is a student at Wyotech-- I believe wyoming uses the 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.