can u get your journey man card if your a convicted felon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpkracker

i am just starting my 4 yr apprinticship but before i go all thru with it can i get my journey mans card if i have been convicted of felonies in florida broward county ?

JJWalecka

Contact Floridas divison of professional regulation or the like and ask them.

"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."*

William Ernest Henley

fmtjfw

I believe you can in WV. When you served your time most of your rights are restored. They teach a journeyman's course in some of our prisons.

A few years ago several prisoners took the state test. They all aced it. The Fire Marshals ran the tapes of the test over and over but never could see them cheating. They finally asked the instructor. He said "these guys had all the time in the world to study the code, what else were they going to do in their spare time?"

jeremysterling

My impression of professional licensing restrictions involving criminal history hinge on the extenuation of the offense's relation to the perpetrator's field of occupation.

For example, if you were a convicted dope dealer, you will probably be unable to get your Pharmacist License.

If you were convicted of contractor fraud in Broward Co., I would think the Florida licensing board would carefully consider your application before allowing you to test.

Same if it was an arson case involving some electrical component.

However, if you caught a dope or theft case, I think the board will OK you for the J-man test. Don't sweat it. Just be honest on the application and study up for the test.

fmtjfw

news story from last year

news story from last year

See the paragraph about decoupling state licenses. Good Luck!

August 28, 2011|By Reginald R. Garcia

Floridians have a vested interest in assisting felons who want to re-enter society, become law-abiding citizens and ensure they stay on the straight-and-narrow path. Gov. Rick Scott and the Cabinet recently approved new clemency rules to require specific waiting periods to restore civil rights of felons and to enforce a strict 10-year waiting period for full pardons. Clemency approval will assist felons in obtaining certain jobs, state licenses, bonds, government contracts and/or security clearances.

Specifically, the restoration of civil rights "restores to an applicant all of the rights of citizenship ? voting, serving on a jury and seeking elected office ? in Florida enjoyed before the felony conviction, except the specific authority to own, possess or use firearms."

The Clemency Board meets four times per year in Tallahassee to hear public testimony and vote on clemency applications. To obtain clemency, the applicant must receive approval by the governor and two Cabinet members.

Conversely, a full pardon unconditionally releases a person from punishment and forgives guilt for any Florida conviction. It restores all of the rights of citizenship possessed by the applicant before his or her conviction, including the right to own, possess or use firearms. At least 10 years must pass since the felon completed his sentence.

Additionally, Attorney General Pam Bondi supported a new law to "decouple" state licenses from RCRs unless the felony conviction is "directly related" to the desired license. Gov. Scott signed this decoupling law, but the key will be how state agencies implement it.

The next clemency meeting is Sept. 22 at the Capitol. I encourage every Floridian to learn more about the clemency and civil rights restoration process.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
i am just starting my 4 yr apprinticship but before i go all thru with it can i get my journey mans card if i have been convicted of felonies in florida broward county ?

You mention Broward County, so I assume you know that there is no state issued journeyman in Florida, but rather only issued at the county level. Only EC's are licensed at the state level. You will have to make a case that your conviction is not relevent and you have corrected your ways. One thing to keep in mind is that Miami-Dade and Broward counties are very particular about proving the validity of your proof of experience. Make sure you are working for legit licensed ECs and on a legit payroll. Save everything-pay stubs, W-2s, etc. Four years is a while from now, but trust me, save every document regarding your employment and experience. I speak with a little experience here as I used to carry numerous county licenses at the J. and master level years ago before I became a state EC.
At one time down there I had a helper that wanted to learn the trade with a federal drug conviction and I was able to help get him approved for the J. exam. I might add that this guy had really demonstrated that he turned his life around and went on to become one of the best and reliable electricians I ever had working for me.

Depending on, well, lots of things (time, location, sunspots, etc), you can ask a court to expunge the conviction. This makes it effectively disappear, so the only people that can see that it happened at all is law enforcement. Check with a local criminal defense lawyer.

renisans

Expungement available in CA

Expungement available in CA

There are always a few lawyers in every jurisdiction who have honed a practice in criminal expungements and will do it for a reasonable fee. One well-known practitioner in CA is Higbee & Associates. But check around and see what is out there, through Google and Linkedin.com and even craigslist.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.