120/240 volt receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Am I missing something? What is the need for a 2 pole and a single pole breaker? One 2 pole or two single poles with a handle tie should be all that is needed.
Dave, the receptacle shown would need a two pole breaker and a single pole breaker, (or one three pole) but even with that being the case handle ties (or tie) could be used.

Roger

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
. Here is a pic.

41QpAiSUMwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That's a Leviton sold on Amazon.
In reference to the image- two ungrounded, separate phases on the top screws; one grounded on the right side, bottom and everything should check out line to line and line to ground.

kwired

Electron manager
You can buy handle ties by the bag.

I am sure the ability to do this depends on the manufacturer of the breakers in question.

Take QO breakers for example. There is only a single handle on multipole breakers, I don't believe they have a listed handle tie for use on three separate poles, you may be able to use a handle tie between a single and two pole breaker - but I don't know they are intended or listed for such application. I have to admit I mostly use QO breakers and am not as familiar with accessories for other brands out there, so part of my answer is based on what I know about QO breakers, and what accessories are available for them.

I also really don't know that the listing for any other two pole breakers that are available are intended to remove the tie between the individual poles. Maybe you can, but I just wanted to bring that up.

Another interesting question is would it be acceptable to supply this receptacle with a three pole breaker installed in a single phase panel? It will work, but is the three pole breaker listed, or otherwise allowed for this installation?

fmtjfw

Design wise, yes. I would prefer to have the receptacles on seperate circuits so tripping the OCPD for one would not affect the other......but......

I would have to look, but I don't the the NEC would allow that, since there is a common yoke involved.

Asked for separate 240V and 120V circuits, three poles needed. that's why 1 1-pole and 1 2-pole

Status
Not open for further replies.