Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIRE ALARM CABLE

Fire Alarm cable type 'FPLR' POWER lIMITED fIRE ALARM SYSTEM
    I can't find in code any objection to installing this cable in CABLE TRAY,Horizontal runs
    Anybody agree?

I don't believe that the code forbids it. Be careful what else is in the tray though. If its just a communications cable tray, it should be fine. Check with your Fire Alarm manufacturer's rep about what kind of separation is required from power cables. I think you're going to need at least 6" of separation.
    Alternate current
    Line to ground and ground to line
    Current alternates

Comment

P.S.

If the cable tray runs through a "space used for environmental air" i.e. plenum, you'll need to use FPLP instead of FPLR.
      Alternate current
      Line to ground and ground to line
      Current alternates

Comment

FPL, FPLR, FPLP?

What JoeStillman said.

If you're the one providing the cable, you might consider never using anything other than FPLP. The cost difference is miniscule; maybe $100 per 1,000 feet. You never have to worry about pulling the right cable for plenum, non-plenum and riser. Unless you're doing 10's of 1000's of feet of riser you'll never notice the difference in the bottom line. All it takes is having to re-pull the alarm/control wire in a return air ceiling once over an area of 20,000 sq ft or so and you've probably blown all the savings you could make in a year if you're a one-man shop.

Comment

Working...
        X