2012 IECC / Mass energy code

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

A few weeks back I speced a lighting control system for a project under the impression that the new energy code, mandatory as of July 1st here in MA (which calls for either 2012 IECC or Ashrae 90.1 2010 (which ever one suits your fancy) would require auto shut off of lights in corridors. Unrelated to my project, I thought also that there was to be a requirement to reduce the lighting in stairwells (and I would think if that was the requirement there it would apply to paths of egress as well).

In any event, a couple of observations on the code for which I'm looking for a sanity check.

1. The 2012 IECC is completely reformatted and I can?t even find the lighting controls paragragh to match the 2009?s 505.2. I?m under the impression, though I haven?t found where this is overtly stated that the 20012 IECC relies more on ASHRAE 90.1 (the 2010 version; i.e the one applicable as of July 1 this year).
2. Regardless, ASHRAE 90.1 nevertheless DOES apply. And if you dig into this, you?ll find that 9.4.1.2. is where the applicable information is and here to, I conclude that I do not need automatic control in a corridor.

Bottom line - what if anything is required by way of automatic control of lighting in corridors and in hallways as per the 2012 IECC.

Also, what about emergency lights. The other thing I've heard is that night lights will no longer be required. i.e. they must have automatic control of some sorts. Is that true?

JoeStillman

Lights that are part of the "Egress System" have always been exempt from shutoff requirements for safety reasons. "Egress System" is defined in the IBC and includes exit signs and lighting in most corridors, as well as "access to the public way" beyond the exit door. But not all corridors are part of the egress system.

I usually look for an egress plan near the front of the Architect's set so I know where I have to put exit signs. They will often provide a drawing with arrows all over it showing that the maximum travel distances meet the requirements.

mshields

Yes - BUT

Yes - BUT

Yes - But if a state adopts (and this is exactly what MA is doing as of July 1, 2014) the 2012 IECC for its energy code, which references ASHRAE 90.1, 2010 version, there is a significant change over the previous versions of these codes.

In the 2009 IECC, the rule requiring manual control is 505.2.1 and to this rule there is an exception for stairways and corridors part of the means of egress.

IECC 2012 which refers you to ASHRAE 90.1 (thereby eliminating redundancy which had existed), there the equivalent paragragh is 9.4.1.2. i.e. this is the requirement that requires manual control in essentially all area's. What is conspicuously absent is the aforementioned exception for stairways and corridors that are part of the means of egress.

That's the game changer rendering it necessary to either utilize bypass relays or a lighting control system which automatically turns on emergency lighting in the event of a power outage.

The Energy Code is of course part of the Building Code, but is there another place in the building code which contradicts this?

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
"The other thing I've heard is that night lights will no longer be required"

I don't think that "night lights" have ever been a code-mandated requirement. Have they?

JoeStillman

"The other thing I've heard is that night lights will no longer be required"

I don't think that "night lights" have ever been a code-mandated requirement. Have they?

Night lights aren't required in any code I know of, but the requirements of 700, Part V sort of require it if you don't want some elaborate scheme to make the lights come on when you are on emergency.

NEC Authors said:
V. Control ? Emergency Lighting Circuits
700.20 Switch Requirements. The switch or switches installed
in emergency lighting circuits shall be arranged so that
only authorized persons have control of emergency lighting.
Exception No. 1: Where two or more single-throw switches
are connected in parallel to control a single circuit, at least
one of these switches shall be accessible only to authorized
persons.
Exception No. 2: Additional switches that act only to put
emergency lights into operation but not disconnect them shall
be permissible.

Switches connected in series or 3- and 4-way switches
shall not be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.