Tapping into CT Cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a Exisitng 400 amp CT cabinet mounted Exterior on building (has no disconnects at CT). From CT it goes underslab to Electrical Room Coming up into a Main Breaker Panelboard 400 amp Main.

I am adding a 200 amp Exterior Loadcenter in Rear Lot. Underground 700 feet away. Want to Tap into CT cabinet and change lugs from 1 barrel to 2 barrel. Want not to add Disconnects at CT and have the Six switch rule issue.

Would township accept this? See diagram. Thank You

Attachments

• Building with CT and Remote.jpg
    Building with CT and Remote.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2 Building with CT and Remote.jpg
    2 Building with CT and Remote.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3 Building with CT and Remote.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

John120/240

The NEC is the minim standard. But You brought up "township". Often times POCO rule, local custom, Thats the way we always have done it, geography,climate will necessitate a deviation from the NEC. The deviation may be stricter than the NEC or looser requirement than the NEC. Application of nonstandard rules often changes with the weather.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The NEC is the minim standard. But You brought up "township". Often times POCO rule, local custom, Thats the way we always have done it, geography,climate will necessitate a deviation from the NEC. The deviation may be stricter than the NEC or looser requirement than the NEC. Application of nonstandard rules often changes with the weather.

Pico I believe wont have a issue. Is there a code violation here.

rlundsrud

The NEC doesn't have a requirement for a service disconnect at the meter when the service conductors are run a significant distance inside a building. However, the service conductors have no short circuit or ground fault protection, so I personally would prefer to install a disconnect by the CT. Some municipalities have requirements that may limit that distance, so I would definitely check with the AHJ and see what they say. Even though the existing service has no disconnect at the CT, the rules may have changed in your area since they were installed. Play it safe and call the local inspector, phone calls are cheap.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
:thumbsup: Phone calls are almost as cheap as posting a question here, but are likely to have a lot better return for the money where local requirements are concerned.

I agree, I usually always call. But its hard for them to understand entirely correctly.

Guess I would say I have a existing 400 amp service. With CT and meter on exterior. The Main Distribution is fed from CT underslab. Exists Slab Mid Building to the 400 amp main.

Their is no existing Disconnects by Ct And meter.

Would like to run 650 feet of conductors from CT Tapp into load side, And run power to rear of site to power a Remote New Exterior Loadcenter with a 200 MB.

I would like to have no disconnects at CT . Now this is where it gets sticky, Is this legal.

OR
If I have to add a 200 amp Disconnect at CT. Would 6 switch rule play here, as must all disconnect ganged together. Is it violated and would I have to now Installed a 400 amp disconnect by CT as well as a 200 amp.
Only way is to hand a drawing in to see. Over the phone I feel want entirely be clear here? What you think. ?

Last edited:

rlundsrud

I am certain you could adequately describe the scenario to get an answer that would be meaningful. And be cognizant of your voltage drop on a run that long, you might be running conductors as large as 350 mcm for such a long distance.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.