another question on COPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

708.10(D) Branch Circuit Wiring

It says that if you are OUTSIDE of the DCOA then all of the very strict requirements of (C)(1) through (3) apply AND that if you are Within the DCOA you can use Chapter 3 rules???

Isn't this Ass backwards???

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...Isn't this Ass backwards???
Not when you think about it. Outside the DCOA needs better protection against physical damage to keep the COPS system in operation... say for instance during a hurricane. It's assumed the DCOA has sufficient structural integrity to withstand the destructive forces of the hurricane.

mshields

but these are branch circuits

but these are branch circuits

If these circuits are feeding non DCOA loads, why is it critical that they be protected as though they were serving critical loads?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If these circuits are feeding non DCOA loads, why is it critical that they be protected as though they were serving critical loads?
Because they are still part of the COPS.

The COPS is not limited to the DCOA. It is assumed all COPS circuits external to the DCOA are critical to operation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think they are trying to limit the potential for a short circuit outside the DCOA resulting in a loss of some loads inside the DCOA. They accomplish this by making the wiring outside the DCOA "sturdier."

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think they are trying to limit the potential for a short circuit outside the DCOA resulting in a loss of some loads inside the DCOA. They accomplish this by making the wiring outside the DCOA "sturdier."

That makes sense.

If they are feeding non DCOA loads, why put them on DCOA branch circuits? Add one more transfer switch if they need generator power, but don't need to be COPS. Or did we decide COPS doesn't need a dedicated transfer switch?
And no, I'm not a transfer switch salesman :)

Status
Not open for further replies.