Self regulating heat tracing application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ujner

I?m responsible for Electrical Heat Tracing for Process Maintenance for an Offshore Platform. It is Type I process application for which loose temperature control is acceptable. Heat Tracing (by stabilized design self regulating cable) is intended just to maintain temperature above a set point. Process doesn?t care if temperature goes 10 or 15 degree higher.
In this case, please let know your opinion if process heating can be achieved using appropriately selected self regulating cable without any control temperature sensor and contactor. I believe the MCB to branch circuit will be always switched ON and only the current will be regulated based on temperature of process pipe. There is no need of any additional switching device or line temperature sensor.
Don?t have much experience with heat tracing. Just needed some advise to proceed.:)

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
.... Heat Tracing (by stabilized design self regulating cable) is intended just to maintain temperature above a set point. Process doesn?t care if temperature goes 10 or 15 degree higher.
In this case, please let know your opinion if process heating can be achieved using appropriately selected self regulating cable without any control temperature sensor and contactor. ...

Most all of the self regulating heat trace I've seen is for freeze protection. I've not seen any other temperature. If that happens to be your target temp - then you are golden.

RayChem and Chromalox both have good sites. Look up the temperature/output characteristics.

All I have seen for process, have rtds, controllers, setpoints, SSRs(no contactors)

ice

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I?m responsible for Electrical Heat Tracing for Process Maintenance for an Offshore Platform. It is Type I process application for which loose temperature control is acceptable. Heat Tracing (by stabilized design self regulating cable) is intended just to maintain temperature above a set point. Process doesn?t care if temperature goes 10 or 15 degree higher.
In this case, please let know your opinion if process heating can be achieved using appropriately selected self regulating cable without any control temperature sensor and contactor. I believe the MCB to branch circuit will be always switched ON and only the current will be regulated based on temperature of process pipe. There is no need of any additional switching device or line temperature sensor.
Don?t have much experience with heat tracing. Just needed some advise to proceed.:)

If the process depends on this; my question is, with no experience in this area, wouldn't it be better to call in some experts on the subject? It may be a good learning experience that way, and could better prepare you for the next time you encounter this.

Utilize manufacturers stated in previous response.

mwm1752

self regulating heattape will increase or decrease current depending on the temperature it is exposed to. If you have a rating of 6w per ft @ 0 degC then the current flow will increase as the temperature drops. Heattape will always draw current as it is design so. IMO leaving the heattape on continuously is the best way during the cold cycle months. Using temp & time controls are more of an energy code option. The problem with turning off the regulated heattape for periods of time is when it is energized the current draw may exceed anticipated conditions & trip the breaker. As earlier stated - Manufactures have ample information for a proper conclusion and if done properly controlers for heattape can be an asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.