480/240 Transformer Secondary Wiring Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are currently adding machinery in our plant, and I would like to know what are the requirements for routing power. I always thought that the requirement was that power must be run in conduit, however, I was told differently. The primary of one of the 50KVA transformers is 480 vac, and the secondary is 240/120 vac single phase. The output of the transformer will be run to a 100 amp breaker panel. Three 60 Amp lines from the breaker panel to the loads in the plant will be run using cable that would lay in an open ladder type cable tray (no conduit) above the work area. Is this allowed? They also plan to run (3) 60 amp 480 lines from our main 480 breaker panel to other loads in the plant using cable (no conduit) in the same cable tray. Is this allowed? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The cable must be listed as type TC (tray cable) or equivalent and must be properly protected when outside the tray at each end.
There is no need to separate voltage systems in the tray, but they must be identified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.