10HP Crane S Phase supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
How do you size all the gear for one of those? 430 tables only go up to 10HP. Nameplate info and apply the rules in 430?

The fans they are part of typically already have motor starter already connected from the manufacturer - but yes I go by motor nameplate for any calculations I do which is still for conductors and maybe a disconnect. It is also not uncommon to see 12-15 HP motors for aeration fans that are generally 10hp build but are rated higher if the motor is located in the airstream. You see these "air over" rated motors in both single and three phase.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
... It is also not uncommon to see 12-15 HP motors for aeration fans that are generally 10hp build but are rated higher if the motor is located in the airstream. You see these "air over" rated motors in both single and three phase.
I've seen similar. Once in a while some OEM stuff comes through our shop where, for instance, nameplate says 7 1/2HP but it is crammed into a 5HP diameter stator.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This from post #6:

What am I missing?
From the first post:

E/C has a customer in an old facility with a 3 phase Oh O&H Crane.
The original service is long gone and a new 400 amp single phase 240/120 service was recently installed

It's an unusual situation, but has been happen ending more and more around here as small manufacturing buildings are getting repurposed as office buildings, artist lofts and even residential units by landlords in order to broaden the market appeal. We have a defunct Naval Air Base around here where that is happening quite often, and in one case I worked on, an artist moved into a space specifically because it had an overhead crane. He wanted to do large metal sculptures, but he didn't know enough to check out that the crane was unusable because of the same issues.

Last edited:

Tony S

Clarification:
Largest motor to be used at one time is the 10HP 3 phase P&H Crane lift motor.

Have you driven a crane?
There?s times when LT, XT and hoist will be running together.

Getting the crane re-insured will be a nightmare if you start altering things.

Being brutally honest, forget any alterations to the design, get the new supply in. It?ll be cheaper and less painful.

I don?t envy whoever has to get it going. Old crane controls are pigs to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.