Simplex Grinnell Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

robnordmann

I recently had a foam release which was initiated by a release button, according to the panel. The button appears to have never been pressed, however it appears that the overvoltage protector for this button is shorted internally. Has anyone ever heard of a faulty OVP causing a release? Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated, thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Overvoltage protection for a push button where a contact closure causes a major disruption? Sounds like a really bad design if there can be spikes on the control power.

robnordmann

Overvoltage protection for a push button where a contact closure causes a major disruption? Sounds like a really bad design if there can be spikes on the control power.

Unfortunately the system was installed by Simplex years ago and recently I've been tasked with maintaining, thanks for the input.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Unfortunately the system was installed by Simplex years ago and recently I've been tasked with maintaining, thanks for the input.
To expand on my comment in a perhaps more helpful way, I would look at a voltage spike, either internal or induced from other circuitry, or else simple component failure.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I recently had a foam release which was initiated by a release button, according to the panel. The button appears to have never been pressed, however it appears that the overvoltage protector for this button is shorted internally. Has anyone ever heard of a faulty OVP causing a release? Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated, thanks.

welll... how old is this simplex system? last one i put in
was in 1996 or so, and and it was a fully addressed system,
and i don't remember overvoltage protection on individual
devices....

is this thing an old analog unit with a separate wire for each zone?
those went out in the mid to late 80's if memory serves... those had
two brown wires, both with 24 VAC on them. one dropped fire dampers
with fusible links, and the other one fired off supressant if configured
for it.

the hook was that if you tested the system without lifting that first brown
wire, you'd backfeed the fusible links on the brown #1 wire, and drop them.
you'd pull the station to test, and it'd drop every damper on each zone
BEFORE the one you were testing.

so, is this analog or digital?

cadpoint

You might consider that it's on the owner of property of where the system was installed.

In that thought;
It's up to the owner to put into action the fact that they had service of an
existing system that faulted! You didn't talk about that!

It's on the owner and what they had as a service coverage and what that bought
them when the system was installed.

From what I Know; The owner (in most cases) is not allowed to change subscriptions nor be allowed to change a subscription to put you into this
situation!

JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.