Yellow Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I have a 110V receptacle on my equipment that will derive its power from a separate source than the equipment. If the disconnect on the equipment is switched to the off position, the receptacle will still be live.

It is my understanding of NFPA79 that I should use yellow wire to wire the receptacle. Would this yellow wire be for the Line and the Neutral going to the receptacle, or yellow just for the Line?

JRW 70

Occupation
Testing and Engineer
Yellow Wire

In the panels that we have, both are yellow BUT the neutral
had a white stripe.

This allowed for identification of the "separate" system.

Now where my staff gets this specific wire, I have no idea.
I write specs and do testing so wire procurement
is not my area of expertise
(i.e. I tell 'em what to get and they get it done)

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Fortunately this is not covered by the NEC. Otherwise yellow with a white stripe would not be allowed, while white with a (very wide?) yellow stripe would be OK.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a 110V receptacle on my equipment that will derive its power from a separate source than the equipment. If the disconnect on the equipment is switched to the off position, the receptacle will still be live.

It is my understanding of NFPA79 that I should use yellow wire to wire the receptacle. Would this yellow wire be for the Line and the Neutral going to the receptacle, or yellow just for the Line?

read closely what the current version of nfpa79 says. it is required to be orange.

fifty60

That is correct. So only he ungrounded leg of the receptacles 110V power input should be Orange. The grounded leg, even though it is derived from another source, should remain white. Does that sound correct?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
That is correct. So only he ungrounded leg of the receptacles 110V power input should be Orange. The grounded leg, even though it is derived from another source, should remain white. Does that sound correct?

I don't recall off hand. I think white with org stripe, but I do not have std with me.

fifty60

It appears to me that NFPA79 is saying that you can either use a colored conductor, but that you do not have to. it says that a stripe at the termination is sufficient.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Would an orange piece of tape wraped twice around the termination end of the wire suffice? So I would have a red conductor with an orange stripe (orange tape) at the termination end, and a white conductor with the orange stripe (orange tape) at the termination end.

fifty60

It seems to me like NFPA79 is saying that I can use the single orange stripe (orange tape) at the termination end for the grounded AC conducters. But for ungrounded conductors (AC and DC) they will need to be orange throughout, or marked with the orange stripes along the length of the conductor...

fifty60

I am a little hesitant to use the same color wire (orange) for ungrounded AC and DC conductors...but that appears to me what the NFPA79 is saying

fifty60

It also says I can use orange color markers throughout the length of the conductor. Would affixing orange tape every few feet suffice for this requirement?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I am a little hesitant to use the same color wire (orange) for ungrounded AC and DC conductors...but that appears to me what the NFPA79 is saying
NFPA79 would have you use Black as the color for internal wiring of ungrounded line voltage conductors.

It is very common to see internal wiring done using all Black for line voltages, Red for AC control, and Orange for externally powered circuits all of which terminate on field wiring terminal blocks (FTB). The color code on the customer side of the FTB rarely, if ever, matches or even coordinates with the internal wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.