Measuring power draw from 6-20R receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit I am not familiar with the process or any purpose-dedicated equipment, but it's a common misconception in general that full time data processing equipment draws constant power.

Bitcoin "mining" is a calculation-intensive workload, so the storage systems aren't doing much but the processors are usually maxed and the load is constant. In this case, I'd assume a fairly steady draw. If a single CPU chip is rated for 85w, it's probably drawing close to that for this operation. About the only more intensive CPU workload I can think of is massive floating-point calculations. (BTW, some people have pushed the "mining" operations into the graphics processors, but I'm not sure that's still considered start of the art.)

If it were me.... well, first, I'd make my own adapters.... after that, I'd meter a stack of 4-5 systems all running the same workload, make multiple measurements over maybe an hour, and scale the result as necessary.

kwired

Electron manager
If we are trying to determine the cost of energy to operate this equipment, don't forget that it will add load to an HVAC system for the space it is housed in during cooling season but during heating season it lessens the heating load.

Status
Not open for further replies.