Kohler Load Sheding Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Ive seen the this Kohler "Load Control Module" on a couple jobs. Does anyone know exactly how this functions?

The issue I am seeing is that I will have (2) transfer switches, each feeding a different panel. Does that mean each transfer switch will need one of these "load control Modules"?

Also, the cutsheet says it has (2) 50A and (2) 40A power relays and then it also says it has two HVAC relays for air conditioning loads. In total, I need to shed (3) AC loads and (1) water heater. Would this be possible with this module?

Attachments

• Kohler Cutsheet.jpg
    Kohler Cutsheet.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 5

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since the module monitors the generator current, you would use only one even though you have two transfer switches. I assume these will be automatic transfer switches and will both operate at the same time.
You may need to add an auxiliary relay to handle the third A/C. (The HVAC connections just interrupt the thermostat circuit instead of the power. I suppose you could instead just use one of the power relays for one A/C.

Npstewart

Since the module monitors the generator current, you would use only one even though you have two transfer switches. I assume these will be automatic transfer switches and will both operate at the same time.
You may need to add an auxiliary relay to handle the third A/C. (The HVAC connections just interrupt the thermostat circuit instead of the power. I suppose you could instead just use one of the power relays for one A/C.

Much appreciated! The literature available on this is so vague.

stevebea

Ive seen the this Kohler "Load Control Module" on a couple jobs. Does anyone know exactly how this functions?

The issue I am seeing is that I will have (2) transfer switches, each feeding a different panel. Does that mean each transfer switch will need one of these "load control Modules"?

Also, the cutsheet says it has (2) 50A and (2) 40A power relays and then it also says it has two HVAC relays for air conditioning loads. In total, I need to shed (3) AC loads and (1) water heater. Would this be possible with this module?

In this type situation I usually just use the power relays and ignore the 24 volt relays. Saves the labor of running stat wire to interrupt the control side .

Status
Not open for further replies.