Megger ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

When megg. a cable [600V] in the absence of manufacturer data what is the recommended test value? In looking at ANSI/NETA ATS-2009 the table indicates 100mg. When a cable was tested [part of a splice to existing cable] it tested in the giga range, when it was tested complete from one end to the other [approx. 500'] thru four splices with the breaker at each end open it tested in the 30mg range, it was cold during the test [approx. 3 degree F] looking at the temp. de-rating tables it appears that the 30mg would be acceptable. However what would account for such a drop from the first reading to the overall complete circuit reading??? curious???

big john

100M is the industry standard minimum for new installations in the absence of manufacturer's specs.

The values you give are not acceptable if this is a new commission. Insulation resistance deteriorates in the presence of heat, not cold. So in your case the fact that it's cold means you should've gotten much higher values, and you appear to be correcting them in the wrong direction.

What type of cabling is this? Hold old and in what environment was the circuit where you installed this? I assume you tested at 1kV? How were the cable ends cleaned/isolated?

Your cumulative leakage would go up because you increase the size of the circuit. You said you did a 1 minute test, what was the DAR?

Phil Corso

Mike01...

Adding to Big John's excellent point ... it is possible to predict IR value at operating temperature, if environmental condfitions, i.e., temperature and Relative-Humidity, are known at time insulation was tested!

Regards, Phil Corso

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Mike01...

Adding to Big John's excellent point ... it is possible to predict IR value at operating temperature, if environmental condfitions, i.e., temperature and Relative-Humidity, are known at time insulation was tested!

Regards, Phil Corso
Unless one component of the measured resistance is from a fault rather than intact insulation....

Phil Corso

Mike01,

Were the spliced section(s) the same-size and length(s) as the original length that measured in the G-Ohm range?

Woull you like a testing method to solve your dilema?

Phil Corso

Status
Not open for further replies.