Correct way to tap for a sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalleron

What would be the correct way if any to tap off this main to add a sub panel on the wall just below it? It would be difficult to come out of the panel this feeds.

I see a neutral lug but the others might need a split bolt or maybe a lug to connect 2 wires to a terminal. I saw someone post a picture of a lug like that once, but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks.

20150115_122059.jpg

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
What would be the correct way if any to tap off this main to add a sub panel on the wall just below it? It would be difficult to come out of the panel this feeds.

I see a neutral lug but the others might need a split bolt or maybe a lug to connect 2 wires to a terminal. I saw someone post a picture of a lug like that once, but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks.

View attachment 11744
Insulation piercing lug taps are a good choice for an install like this. They come in a wide range of wire sizes. Ilsco makes some good ones.

rt66electric

replace with a panel.

replace with a panel.

Would it be too hard to YANK that disco off the wall, and replace it with a breaker box ???
The Make a 200 amp "Mobile home" panel that has a 200 amp main w/feedthrough lugs and 4 spaces for extra breakers...

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Would it be too hard to YANK that disco off the wall, and replace it with a breaker box ???
The Make a 200 amp "Mobile home" panel that has a 200 amp main w/feedthrough lugs and 4 spaces for extra breakers...
Oooo. There ya go. I like your suggestion, or something like it. I've used feedthroughs as well. And that would make it a simple matter to deal with the violations that are visible in the existing install, most notably the raceway to the interior panel, and the bushing on the service conductor raceway.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Oooo. There ya go. I like your suggestion, or something like it. I've used feedthroughs as well. And that would make it a simple matter to deal with the violations that are visible in the existing install, most notably the raceway to the interior panel, and the bushing on the service conductor raceway.
The raceway to the interior panel is a little suspect, what's wrong with the service raceway? Looks like a PVC connector. I do see some issues with the neutral/ground bonding and lack of a GEC there.

dhalleron

I do need to look closer. I took this picture during a driveby quick look on my lunch break. Not sure what is going on with the wires going to the inside panel. Appears to be extra green marked wires that might be driven and water grounds. Wouldn't be too hard to yank this panel off the wall and replace. I think I will need at least 5 breaker spaces in the panel so not sure if that mobile home panel will work. And I did notice the possible wrong neutral/grounds after reviewing the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.