Load on an SMDB/DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

i.qasim

Hi,

while dividing load from MDB to SMDB's and DB's, I will like to know where it is mentioned in the NEC, that an SMDB is not allowed to feed more than 200KW.
It is in mind and I don't know where I heard it. I went through the NEC to find any reference but couldn't find it.

thanks.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi,

while dividing load from MDB to SMDB's and DB's, I will like to know where it is mentioned in the NEC, that an SMDB is not allowed to feed more than 200KW.
It is in mind and I don't know where I heard it. I went through the NEC to find any reference but couldn't find it.

thanks.

I don't think you will even find those terms in the NEC, so there are unlikely to be any prohibitions on the size of them.

There are often engineering specs that have limits that are more stringent than the NEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
MDB is your main distribution board. your main circuit breaker. DB is your end panel board from where you get lighting or power circuits. SMDB is sub main dist. board. inbt the two ends.

now... !!!
None of those terms or anything like them appear in the NEC. You can use any switchboard or panelboard within its rating, without limits. The NEC doesn't care what you call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.