480v to 380v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toros

Hi
My client who got a wood chopping machine operationg @ 380v, 3 kw, 60 hz,
wants to run it by building available volt. which are 480v-3w and 120/240v,3ph, 4wire

What type of transformer do I need??
Tanx

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi
My client who got a wood chopping machine operationg @ 380v, 3 kw, 60 hz,
wants to run it by building available volt. which are 480v-3w and 120/240v,3ph, 4wire

What type of transformer do I need??
Tanx

380V at 60 Hz is not something you are likely to see. It is probably 50 Hz. There are no transformers that will change the frequency.

On the remote chance that it is 50 Hz, acme can get you a transformer or set of transformers. Just call their tech support people and ask. They have setups and diagrams for just about everything.

kwired

Electron manager
If it is a general purpose type of motor, might be easiest to replace with a NEMA general purpose motor, 60 Hz motor will run faster then 50 Hz so different pulley/gears might be needed as well. Then might come controls or other power components and potential issues with voltage/frequency there though.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I agree that this sounds like a European voltage and would be at 50Hz. I was recently working in Spain where the voltage in the industrial facility was 375V at 50hz.
Depends on how sophisticated the machine is, it may not have been such a bargin if it has to be rebuilt to operate at 480V, 60hz

kwired

Electron manager
I agree that this sounds like a European voltage and would be at 50Hz. I was recently working in Spain where the voltage in the industrial facility was 375V at 50hz.
Depends on how sophisticated the machine is, it may not have been such a bargin if it has to be rebuilt to operate at 480V, 60hz
If you are buying new European equipment they likely can make it for North American voltages/frequency or at least provide proper transformers (frequency will not change though).

If you are buying used equipment, unless through a dealer that can provide additional set it up for you, you are stuck with whatever it was configured as.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Brazil, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain all use 380V 60Hz. Given that Saudi Arabia and Bahrain likely have no lumber industry to speak of, it could very well be that this machine came from Brazil and that is the correct nameplate. If so, you simply need a transformer.

That said, I would preemptively swap out tht motor for one of equal rating at 460V right now, before starting to use it. The first time that 380V motor goes bad, you will have to order a replacement from Brazil, or change it anyway, meaning scrambling to find that replacement when you are already shut down. Just do it now and be done with it.

Also, in the 3 Brazillian machines I have rebuilt the controls were 230V, because for them the voltage is 380Y230 so they derive their control voltage by using a phase and neutral connection, no transformer. When you convert the machine to run on 480V, that will no longer work, so separate the control circuits and use a control power transformer.

Last edited:

markgusto

The motor is an inductive load. The voltage you inject into it will determine the amps.
A higher voltage will have the motor draw less amps.
A lower voltage will have the motor draw more amps.

Volts x Amps = Watts (Hp).
don't forget to multifply the volts by 1.73 for 3 phase power calcs (square root of 3)

As for the frequency the motor will run at a different speed 50 / 60hz. RPM is based on the number of poles and the frequency.

You CAN run a motor on a foreign voltage and frequency. Just be mindful that the amps and RPM will NOT be the same as the nameplate.
No VFD is needed unless your application is speed sensitive.
No transformer is needed if your application is ok with a different amperage draw than nameplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.