How to calculate the Electrical Service for a Dormitory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would probably use Table 220.42 and use the dwelling unit demand if you meet the definition of dwelling in article 100 otherwise, I would use the hotel, motels, etc without cooking provisions.

Dormitory Service Calculation, I agree that we use Article 220, we used Table 220.12

Dormitory Service Calculation, I agree that we use Article 220, we used Table 220.12

Sir, I agree with your comment about using Article 220 and Table 220.12 Hotel and motel
including apartments without cooking by tenants 2VA per square foot, this should allow for
all receptacles and lighting
We also use the Demand Factor per Table 220-42
can we also apply Table 220-56 for the unit hot water heaters

Article 220.56 Kitchen Equipment - Other than Dwelling unit mentions hot water heater

Article 220.53 Appliance Load-Dwelling Unit (Dormitories are not dwelling units)

It is hard to believe that the 2014 NEC requires that all the unit hot water heaters be calculated at 100% with out a demand factor

The load on these dormitory units. Would be less if you added Electric cooking and used Table
220.84 Optional Calculations

We understand the Heat or AC the larger of the two be included in the calculation at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.