Voltage Drop: Single Phase (L-L) Loads on wye

Status
Not open for further replies.

xguard

I have single phase 208 Volt lights staggered phase to phase at varying distances.
For example:
Light 1 phase A-C
Light 2 phase B-C
Light 3 phase A-B

The name plate of the light gives me 2.3 Amps @ 208 volts.

Is this as simple as 2.3 Amps * 208 Volts = 478.4 Volt-Amps

Then apply half of that to each line: 478.4 / 2= 239.2 Volt-Amps

Phase A B C
Light 1 239 239
Light 2 239 239
Light 3 239 239

I guess what’s giving me trouble is:
1. These loads are varying distances. If this was a feeder to a panel I think it would make more sense to me.
a. If I calculate the voltage drop between light 1 and light 2 then line B will have more current on it than line C. If it was a feeder I could multiply 478 volt-amps times 3 and then figure out the line current is 4 amps (The B phase contribution from Light 3 doesn’t add the full 2.3 amps). I would use 4 amps to find the voltage drop in this segment.
b. Now if I move to the segment between Light 2 and Light 3 the line current is 2.3 amps. I would use 2.3 amps to find voltage drop in this segment.

I feel like I’m missing or confusing something but can’t put my finger on it.

Please let me know if this is a valid approach to finding the line current for the purposes of calculating voltage drop.

Thank you

xguard

I have single phase 208 Volt lights staggered phase to phase at varying distances.
For example:
Light 1 phase A-C
Light 2 phase B-C
Light 3 phase A-B

Then apply half of that to each line: 478.4 / 2= 239.2 Volt-Amps

Phase A B C
Light 1 239 239
Light 2 239 239
Light 3 239 239

I guess what’s giving me trouble is:
1. These loads are varying distances. If this was a feeder to a panel I think it would make more sense to me.
a. If I calculate the voltage drop between light 1 and light 2 then line B will have more current on it than line C. If it was a feeder I could multiply 478 volt-amps times 3 and then figure out the line current is 4 amps (The B phase contribution from Light 3 doesn’t add the full 2.3 amps). I would use 4 amps to find the voltage drop in this segment.
b. Now if I move to the segment between Light 2 and Light 3 the line current is 2.3 amps. I would use 2.3 amps to find voltage drop in this segment.

I feel like I’m missing or confusing something but can’t put my finger on it.

Please let me know if this is a valid approach to finding the line current for the purposes of calculating voltage drop.

Thank you

Fewer bites than I had fishin last Sunday ?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Splitting the KVA in half and adding up on the phases, then applying the three phase load formula will be a good approximation as long as the load is balanced.
Taking the current that you get and using it in a single wire calculation will underestimate the VD because of the unbalanced sections, but I do not think that will be a big enough difference to worry about.
The alternative would be to use a program or spreadsheet to do the precise vector calculation on each segment in turn.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Light 1 phase A-C
Light 2 phase B-C
Light 3 phase A-B

Since each leg powers 1/2 * 2 lights, Amps = 2.3 per leg.

3Ø Power = 208 * 2.3 * Sqrt(3) * Pf

Balanced load formula not shown = 2.3A per leg @ Pf=1 (Check nameplate for Power factor, not Ballast factor)

Solving for distance and 3% VD, #12 Awg can be <= 900ft 1-way, regardless of how lights are staggered.

Now adjust x 1.25 for continuous load = 2.875A, used for Derating & Temp. Rise: #12 is good at 30.4°C.

NEC 220.18(B) inductive lighting nameplates, with "total-ampere ratings" do not require x 1.25 inductive load adjustments like motors in 430 Sec II

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.