1000V Motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjabe

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with 1000V motors in mining applications. I have a client in Canada, where 575V motors are the norm, but for their mine equipment they want 1000V. I haven't been able to find much online about this, I was hoping someone here has?

1) is 1000V the motor voltage or the gear voltage (for example, 480V is used on 460V motors, 600V is used on 575V motors, etc)?
2) does anyone know any manufacturer of these motors?

Thanks

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Joy Mining equipment was famous for using 1000V for their trailing skid powered equipment. I worked for the OEM that made their solid state starters for them (under a brand-label deal). 1000V was the distribution/service voltage, because it was the upper limit of “low voltage”. I believe, as was said, that the motor design voltage was not that much less, 975 sounds right but it’s been a while now. They didn’t expect much voltage drop from the transformer to the motor because the transformer was right there on the skid. The motors were all made to order. At one time Joy made their own motors, but I think toward the end they were just contracting it out as well. But regardless, 1000V Class Motors were never something one could just buy out of a catalog.

They had some machines that needed 1500V too, but then the control equipment all became classified as “medium voltage” which came with other regulatory baggage.

PS: Well I guess times have changed, because that ABB catalog lists 1000V motors now! It is a specialty “Mining motor” catalog though.

Last edited:

Ingenieur

Joy Mining equipment was famous for using 1000V for their trailing skid powered equipment. I worked for the OEM that made their solid state starters for them (under a brand-label deal). 1000V was the distribution/service voltage, because it was the upper limit of “low voltage”. I believe, as was said, that the motor design voltage was not that much less, 975 sounds right but it’s been a while now. They didn’t expect much voltage drop from the transformer to the motor because the transformer was right there on the skid. The motors were all made to order. At one time Joy made their own motors, but I think toward the end they were just contracting it out as well. But regardless, 1000V Class Motors were never something one could just buy out of a catalog.

They had some machines that needed 1500V too, but then the control equipment all became classified as “medium voltage” which came with other regulatory baggage.

PS: Well I guess times have changed, because that ABB catalog lists 1000V motors now! It is a specialty “Mining motor” catalog though.

I do a lot of work with Joy (now Komatsu) Do you know any of these gentlemen: Peter Dalton, Mike Jordan or Jim Lindsay
I work with various drive mfgs...which one did you do work for? We likely know some of the same people

the common machine voltages

out west some are now 2400

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I do a lot of work with Joy (now Komatsu) Do you know any of these gentlemen: Peter Dalton, Mike Jordan or Jim Lindsay
I work with various drive mfgs...which one did you do work for? We likely know some of the same people

the common machine voltages

out west some are now 2400
I left that company (Phasetronics) in 2006. We had bought out another company (Patriot Industries) that had the original contract to make the Joy starters, so I inherited the project and had to fix all of their design problems and modernize the controls and firing circuit. But I never had direct contact with anyone at Joy Mining, it was all done though our Salesman assigned to them.

Tony S

Many moons ago our company “borrowed” a face cutter from Joy UK. The deal was if it works cutting limestone we would buy it.

The beast arrived and required a 3.3kV supply. Simply enough as we had a 3.3kV ring running near the face to feed the navies.

Sorry to say it took less than an hour to destroy the face cutter.

Some UK and Au mining equipment is rated for 11kV.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It's awesome reading your guys' posts and looking back at wiring a facility with 100HP being the largest motor and thinking "wow, I'm in the big league now" only to realize I had not even made it to the minors. :D

Ingenieur

Many moons ago our company “borrowed” a face cutter from Joy UK. The deal was if it works cutting limestone we would buy it.

The beast arrived and required a 3.3kV supply. Simply enough as we had a 3.3kV ring running near the face to feed the navies.

Sorry to say it took less than an hour to destroy the face cutter.

Some UK and Au mining equipment is rated for 11kV.

alot of longwall stuff is 4160
transmission is 12.47 kv
at least in eastern US coal mines

it takes a special (large, heavy, hi ratio gears and special bits) to mine rock
also a skilled operator
but they need rebuilt frequently
that's why we use explosives :)
drill & shoot

Ingenieur

It's awesome reading your guys' posts and looking back at wiring a facility with 100HP being the largest motor and thinking "wow, I'm in the big league now" only to realize I had not even made it to the minors. :D

the biggest I've dealt with lately is 3500 hp, 4160 vac fan motor
mounted with a clutch to a 3000 hp diesel
engine was rated 3004, likely converted from a torque measurement
like 4 out of 3000 hp matters, lol

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm about to do some 4000HP 4160V blowers at a "brown trout farm". The total project is 2 of these on VFDs, plus 6 that are 1250HP on Soft Starters. Fun stuff, but the first moment when the technicians hit the Start button during commissioning is always a nerve-racker.

JFletcher

I'm about to do some 4000HP 4160V blowers at a "brown trout farm". The total project is 2 of these on VFDs, plus 6 that are 1250HP on Soft Starters. Fun stuff, but the first moment when the technicians hit the Start button during commissioning is always a nerve-racker.

That has to be one enormous Wastewater Plant, or treating a very tough waste stream like dairy or Brewery... I worked at a 22.5 MGD (not Miller Genuine Draft, million gallons per day) plant that treated anheuser-busch's waste, it had 3 900 horse blowers, running on 4160 volts... Drew about a hundred amps each... Only one was ever on at a time, and it usually kept the dissolved oxygen in the aeration tanks above 10 parts per million at all times even throttle down to about 35% inlet vain.

I got to watch one destroy its brushes on a start-up one time... it filled the entire blower building with glittery dust.

A single 4000 horsepower blower would probably provide enough air for a 200 million gallon a day plant, treating conventional waste.

and I thought Limestone was soft... Why did it eat up the cutter?

Ingenieur

huge project

to treat 1 mgd extended aeration takes about 2500 cfm (~100 hp at 8 psi)
sequential batch reactor about 3 times as much (but 8 hr vs 24 cycle)

must be one huge ww treatment plant
or as mentioned, bio or industrial waste, dairy or brewery, etc

Tony S

I got to watch one destroy its brushes on a start-up one time... it filled the entire blower building with glittery dust.

and I thought Limestone was soft... Why did it eat up the cutter?

Somewhere I’ve got a video of one of our 2000HP fans brushgear exploding, no sparkly bits it was shrapnel.

It depends on what form the limestone takes, chalk is fairly soft, marble very hard. Chalk can be dug without blasting, the stuff we quarried was very pure chemical grade calcium carbonate and therefore hard.

a.bisnath

I have seen 1.2KV

I have seen 1.2KV

There are 1.2KV motors, I have seen them in in old refineries and steel plants where 1.2KV was used, .This is an ancient design most everthing now is either 480/600 or 4160 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.