Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Underground Conduit Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Underground Conduit Questions

    I have three questions regarding underground conduit and I am wondering if you would be able to provide a brief sentence on each. Thank you.

    1) is there a minimum required size for underground conduits? IE- If the cables I need to run only require a 2" conduit, is that acceptable or must it be no smaller than a certain size, say 3"?

    2) what are the rules for transition from underground PVC to above ground, does it need to transition from PVC to RGC above ground?

    3) what are the conditions when the underground conduit must be encased in concrete?

    Thanks

    #2
    1. No, unless you want to upsize for larger conductors for possible future additions/upgrades or for easier conductor pulling.

    2. You only need either Sched. 80 or RGS conduit for physical protection, or steel for not burning through a PVC elbow with the pulling rope.

    3. Concrete can be used for shallower burial depths and for conduit that needs to be inside a building but rated for not inside a building.
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
      1. No, unless you want to upsize for larger conductors for possible future additions/upgrades or for easier conductor pulling.

      2. You only need either Sched. 80 or RGS conduit for physical protection, or steel for not burning through a PVC elbow with the pulling rope.

      3. Concrete can be used for shallower burial depths and for conduit that needs to be inside a building but rated for not inside a building.
      In addition to Larry's notes, local codes, project requirements, utilities may all dictate additional requirements. For example, we are required to concrete encase with red-dye underground conduits crossing gas pipelines through the entirety of the easement per the utility requirements. Different jurisdictions may have more stringent requirements. Conduits from the meter to the utility transformer may require rigid metal only, or conduit only depending on the utility. Minimum conduit size from a utility transformer to the service entrance disconnect may be only 4" if dictated by them.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Gshell82 View Post
        I have three questions regarding underground conduit and I am wondering if you would be able to provide a brief sentence on each. Thank you.

        1) is there a minimum required size for underground conduits? IE- If the cables I need to run only require a 2" conduit, is that acceptable or must it be no smaller than a certain size, say 3"?

        2) what are the rules for transition from underground PVC to above ground, does it need to transition from PVC to RGC above ground?

        3) what are the conditions when the underground conduit must be encased in concrete?

        Thanks

        In the Petro-chem industry most clients require minimum 1" - it can be PVC or Rigid Galv Steel but almost always its PVC.
        Typically we transition from PVC to RGS with an adapter, then stub up using RGS 90 degree elbows.
        Within operating units, typically we run PVC conduit in concrete duct banks - in remote areas such as Tank Farms it may not be as stringent - depends on the Client and specifications.

        Comment


          #5
          Many phone companies required two 4 inch conduits for a commercial building even if they were only running a single 25 pair cable... No idea what they're doing now for fiber or if that requirement still exists
          Electricians do it until it Hertz!

          Comment


            #6
            we require minimum 1" for underground. easier pulling and the cost of burying a 1" compared to a 3/4" is negligible.

            our details transition to either RGS or aluminum with bitumastic at the elbow turning up. burning a pvc elbow cited as the main concern.

            if you anticipate large machines regularly digging nearby (industrial plant) i would say you want to encase it depending on how critical the conductors are. consider the risk of damage to the conduit and/or conductors within. how much would it cost the owner, in lost production and emergency repair costs, to get it fixed? segment of fiberoptic ring connecting automation of plant to eachother, 600A worth of medium voltage ring bus conductors? better encase that.... site lighting? nah, they'll fix it when they get to it.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by drktmplr12 View Post
              we require minimum 1" for underground. easier pulling and the cost of burying a 1" compared to a 3/4" is negligible.

              our details transition to either RGS or aluminum with bitumastic at the elbow turning up. burning a pvc elbow cited as the main concern.

              if you anticipate large machines regularly digging nearby (industrial plant) i would say you want to encase it depending on how critical the conductors are. consider the risk of damage to the conduit and/or conductors within. how much would it cost the owner, in lost production and emergency repair costs, to get it fixed? segment of fiberoptic ring connecting automation of plant to eachother, 600A worth of medium voltage ring bus conductors? better encase that.... site lighting? nah, they'll fix it when they get to it.
              if you are going to put it in concrete then it seems like it would make sense to use PVC.
              Bob

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by petersonra View Post
                if you are going to put it in concrete then it seems like it would make sense to use PVC.
                yes, concrete encasement is all pvc schedule 40. direct bury or concrete cap schedule 80

                Comment

                Working...
                X