Generator Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KasseemF

I have to retrofit a generator house to fit two generators however space only allows me to fit the two generators end to end and not side by side.

Has anyone carried out an installation like this before? Are there any code restricting this?

Both generators will be running simultaneously, is it better to face the two radiators towards each other and is tall an exhaust system or turn both generators in the same direction with an exhaust system?

Ingenieur

I don't know about code
I would face them both with the radiator out and bring cooling and combustion air in from the middle of one side and exh out the other (perhaps out the roof)

you do not want the radiators blowing into each other

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't know about code
I would face them both with the radiator out and bring cooling and combustion air in from the middle of one side and exh out the other (perhaps out the roof)

you do not want the radiators blowing into each other
In specific answer to the OP's suggestion, as long as there is sufficient clearance between them for lateral air flow you can put both radiators facing each other (which does not mean blowing at each other). Provide air inlet at the center and individual cooling air exhaust at each end.
That way the air that has been through each radiator can go on to help cool the engine directly.
If you put the radiators at opposite ends you will need to arrange two end feeds and a center exhaust. In addition the two air streams will be opposing each other at the center, for a lot of turbulence.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
this may help
pg 17
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/CM20160713-53120-44971

for engine mntd cooling the fans pull cool air over the engine and alternator and blow thru the radiator
the cool intake air also provides the combustion air
blowing hot air into the room and over the engine and alt is probably not a good idea

Thanks, I did not realize that was the air flow direction. Vehicle mounted engines mainly use the opposite flow because of the availability of ram effect air while the vehicle is moving, I guess.

Ingenieur

Thanks, I did not realize that was the air flow direction. Vehicle mounted engines mainly use the opposite flow because of the availability of ram effect air while the vehicle is moving, I guess.

exactly
and to evacuate the engine compartment heat
and aero reasons
plus drawing air in from the relatively sealed engine compartment and out the front would need a healthy fan

smart fans on newer cars actually shutdown at times to conserve fuel

Assuming the air outlets are facing each other, I've seen the use of upward draft directional housings or addons. With drains and protective grates.

If in or near a residential area, there could be sound attenuation required.

Proper fin spacing on radiators if ordering new generators, should be considered.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Ingenieur

I would set them alternator to alternator (radiators on the outside wall) and exhaust over the radiator like shown in the figure in the link
I would bring in air from the center of the space (I would have 2 inlets w/auto dampers, each sized for 1 gen, cooling AND combustion air, and interlocked) I would duct it to sweep over the alternator and engine and out the radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.