Fire Damage Electrical Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipador

New User
Hi All - I am working on a project that recently had fire damage. This is a building with 5 individual (1 bedroom units) units. Each unit has a separate AC feed and meter from the car port. Only one of these units recently had fire damage and it was in the middle of the building.

1. The cable from the car port to the AC panel in the unit was burned.
2. The breaker panel and meter in the car port were not damaged and in working condition.
3. The breaker panel in the car port was only a 70 amp breaker.

With all the new requirements for individual breaker positions around the unit it would be hard to size a panel for 70 amps. Would I need to replace the breaker in the car port to a higher amp rating to support the design of the new unit? I imagine changing the breaker in the car port would be a big deal since it connects to the power company meter and I would possibly need the power company to run a different power cable to the property.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to handle this and thanks ahead of time?

Adamjamma

first, would be the design considerations, especially given that most of this would fall under the newest code rules for your area. If you are not used to design and installation then you need an electrician who is to do the work. Since you will be changing the breaker box, from what you are saying, then I would assume you will need the local power supplier to be involved any way.
Most 70 amp panels that I have been involved in were actually 100 amp panels. So, it is now a matter of having enough bus bar room for all the new code requirements for neutral and grounds and the GFCI and AFCI rules. Again, if you dont know it, and dont understand the codes well enough, call a better qualified electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.